Chapter Two: That's My Susie--She Helps People

                “I’m sorry, Aiden, this is simply how it has to be,” his mother stated with sad finality. Aiden shook his head as he held his hands out to the woman who had given him life. The woman who was supposed to love and care for him no matter what simply shook her head and took a step away from him with nothing but disgust on her face.

                “Do not touch her.” His father, Benjamin’s voice was like ice and it froze Aiden’s blood.

                “Why are you doing this?” Aiden choked out. “I’m still your son.”

                “You are no son of mine.” Benjamin hissed. “You are an abomination; a spawn of the devil!”

                “But…” Aiden’s heart crumbled as his mother made the mark of the cross on her chest and shook her head.

                “You are pure evil, Aiden.” She agreed.

                Aiden stared in broken-hearted and dumb-founded shock at them both. He was evil because his heart didn’t want what most men’s hearts wanted? He was a spawn of the devil, an abomination, simply because he wanted a life with another man instead of with a woman?  He had never in his life hurt anyone so he did not understand how he could possibly be pure evil.

                Aiden watched his father walk to the cabinet in the corner of the richly decorated parlor his mother was so proud of displaying to guests of their home. Benjamin pulled out his hunting rifle and Aiden swallowed hard.

                “Let’s go.”

                “Go where?” Aiden’s voice was trembling as he asked the man.

                “To the woods. I’m going to end this abomination.”

                “I’m your son!!!!” Aiden screamed. His mother whimpered and fled from the room. He heard her slippered feet bound up the staircase and her bedroom door slammed closed.

                “You are nothing. You are the devil. Evil. To lay with another man—“ His father shivered as his brown eyes closed and his mustached face paled. “I will cure you of your disease.” The barrel of the gun was shoved into Aiden’s chest. “Let’s get to the woods. I do not want to do this in here and stain the rug.”

                Aiden’s legs were stiff and his cheeks were soaked with tears as his allowed his father to lead him from the house. He had to get away. He had to escape. He didn’t deserve this!

                Benjamin led him to an old oak; a favorite play place of Aiden’s from childhood. Aiden stared at his father’s face, searching for any sign that the man might waver from the decision he had made. There was nothing. Nothing but hatred, disgust and resolve.