Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Before Aiden was able to respond to Nick's weak compliment, Doctor Montgomery came flying into the room, his white hair sticking straight up as he took in the sight of Nick finally awake and of Garth lying in a pool of his own blood.

Aiden found himself staring at Garth as well as the doctor flipped his body over. Aiden had never killed anyone before and it didn't make him feel as strong or tough as he had thought it would. Instead he felt a bit sick and hollow inside. He had just taken another man's life and while he knew it had been necessary, the sight of those now lifeless eyes staring up at him caused the hairs on the back of his neck to stand on end.

Aiden heard boot steps coming down the hall and suddenly Brody and Elizabeth were rushing in with Wendell and Kaitlyn behind them, "We heard a shot!" Elizabeth exclaimed.

Aiden pointed toward Garth and Brody cursed, "He didn't hurt any of you did he?" Brody demanded.

"No," Nick croaked out before coughing and growling with pain. Elizabeth rushed to his side and poured a bit of water from a pitcher into a crystal glass. She held it to Nick's lips and he drank greedily, though a lot of the liquid ended up running down his chin and cheeks.

"Here," Aiden blinked several times before reaching and taking his gun from Brody's hand. "You did good, Aiden," Brody assured him. Aiden nodded slowly but couldn't seem to find any good in what had happened.....

"Aiden..." Nick whispered. "You okay?"

Aiden turned his attention to Nick. That was the good. Nick was awake, he was alive and even after what Nick had been through he seemed more concerned about Aiden than himself. Aiden let out a choked sob and then went to Nick, squatting down beside the bed and laying his head against his heart.

Nick's hand came up to stroke his hair, "Hey, you're alright," Nick whispered gently. "It's all gonna be alright now."

"Well he's dead and gone," Doctor Montgomery mumbled as he closed Garth's eyes, stood up straight and shook his head. "Must have snuck in that window to come in here and finish Nick off."

"But Aiden stopped him," Wendell spoke up. "Good job, Aiden,"

Aiden didn't reply. He just kept his head resting on Nick's heart and listened to the reassuring sound of it beating beneath his ear.

"Let's leave them alone," Aiden heard Elizabeth whisper and Kaitlyn mumbled an agreement. "I'm glad you woke up, Nick. There's going to be a lot of work to be done at the ranch so you need to get healed up and get back out there," Elizabeth said with a warm smile. Aiden heard Nick agree. Brody grabbed a sheet from the chair and wrapped Garth up in it before hoisting the man up with Wendell's help and carrying him from the room.

"I'll be back with rags in a moment," Doctor Montgomery muttered as he stared at the blood pooled and smeared across his floor.

Quickly Aiden and Nick found themselves alone, "Are you okay?" Nick whispered as he reached out and laid a tender hand over Aiden's bandaged hand.

"Yeah," Aiden sniffed, forcing back his tears as he raised his head and looked into Nick's eyes, "I am now."

"What happened to your hand?"

"There was a fire at the ranch house. Burt, Curly and Graham started it. I burned my hand when I was getting Nathan and Max out."

"Wow," Nick's gray eyes lit with pride. "You're a regular hero now, Aiden. You saved them and you saved me."