Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Nick was feeling uneasy. He wasn't sure what was causing the uneasy feeling in his gut but it was there and it was gnawing at him. The cattle were quiet, the stars were shining and the crickets were chirping. He was keeping watch while everyone else slept and it would only be an hour or so before dawn began to arrive.

Nick scratched at his stubble covered jaw and realized he was in desperate need of a shave. He could see the lights from the oil lamps in town but town itself was quiet and dead. No one was out this late—or early depending on how you looked at it.

Standing from the boulder he'd been seated upon Nick stretched out his legs. He rubbed at the aching muscles in his thighs and wondered what was happening at the ranch. Was Aiden okay? Was he sleeping soundly in the bunkhouse? That thought caused Nick's arms to ache with the longing to hold him.

Nick let out a sigh and decided to hop on his horse to make a trip around the peaceful herd. He swung himself up into the saddle and that's when he heard the gunshot. There was a pause, a lapse in time itself as his brain tried to understand and put together the sound with the fiery pain now filling his chest.

He tried to take a breath but his lungs pushing against his ribs nearly caused a cry of pain to leave his lips before his head began to swim. He could feel blood soaking his shirt and vest as he clung to his horse.

He was aware of the cattle growing restless and the shouts of men around him. He heard someone shout that the shot had come from a rifle at long range and no one knew exactly where the shooter had been. He was aware of Brody hollering as he ran toward him.

Nick put a hand to his chest and then pulled it away, staring dumbfounded at the blood coating it.

"Dammit, Nick, snap out of it!" Brody's angry voice growled as he smacked Nick's leg and Nick looked down at him.

"I've been shot," Nick whispered. He couldn't breathe very well because the pain in his chest was overwhelming.

"I can see that," Brody replied as his brow shot up. "It's low down and to the side so your heart is fine. And you seem to be breathing alright so it didn't get your lung. Reckon you can ride into town of do I need to pack you?"

Nick glared at Brody. He was in a lot of damn pain and Brody acted as if this was nothing to be worried about. He was bleeding from his goddamn chest! That was definitely something to be worried about! Slowly Nick nodded as he clasped one hand tight over his wound and grabbed his reins with the other, "Yeah..."

Brody hopped on the horse that Nick hadn't even realized he'd been leading, "Come on then. The doc'll need to take a look at that cuz the bullet must still be in there. Trapped in a rib if I were a betting man."

"You a doc now?" Nick gasped through gritted teeth. Every step his horse took sent shockwaves of pain throughout his body.

"Nope," Brody's eyes were narrowed but it was clear to Nick that he was focused on every single movement around them. "I've just been shot a time or two. You could say that I'm pretty damn familiar with that territory."

Wendell came galloping up beside them, "I left Frank and Kent to watch over the herd but they ain't none too happy about it. I'm gonna ride up to where I think that shot came from and see what I can find."

"You better be damned careful," Brody warned. "Of course I reckon they're gone. They would have shot at us at least once more if they planned on sticking around."

"I was the only one they wanted," Nick cut in weakly. He was having trouble keeping his eyes open as blood ran freely between his fingers.

"Don't you worry, Nick. I'm gonna find out who shot you and I'll pay the bastard back," Brody assured him.