Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

Brody stepped into the jail and nodded at Ty who was sitting at his desk discussing the day ahead with the executioner. Ty simply raised a hand in greeting and Brody made his way back toward the cells.

The jail was empty, just as it almost only was, and only one cell contained prisoners. Prisoners who were just finishing up the last meal they would ever eat, "Good morning," Brody greeted as he stopped beside their bars.

Benjamin looked at him with tired eyes and sat his plate aside, "Are you attempting to be humorous?"

"Nope. I ain't what you'd call a humorous man," Brody shrugged and rocked back on his heels, "The way I see it, it is a damn good morning."

"Please, sir," Mary pleaded as she rose and made her way toward him with a rustling of her stained and stiff skirts, "I am a woman, have mercy on me!"

Brody's brow rose as he looked down his nose at the sniveling woman, "Mercy? Mercy is for God to dish out. Me? I'm just the son of a bitch that's gonna send you to him."

"You're a monster!" Benjamin growled.

Brody shrugged, "Never said I wasn't. You were warned what would happen if you came after my family again."

"He's our son," Mary countered. "We brought that disgrace into the world and we were simply trying to rid the world of his evil."

"That man is no disgrace, that's a title that you and your husband have earned. I won't spend any more time in here talking to you. I just wanted to let you know that it'll be me pulling that lever today out there at the gallows and I'm damn excited about it too. It'll me sending your black souls straight to God so he can sort you both out."

"Can we see our son?" Benjamin asked.

Brody couldn't believe he'd ask such a ridiculous question, "No. No you can't see him. And he's not yours anymore. He's got a whole new family of folks now that think he's a good damn person just the way he is. He don't have any more need for a couple of judgmental pricks such as yourselves," Brody tipped his hat, "Have a good day now."

Brody walked from the back of the jail, tipped his head once again to Ty and the executioner and then stepped outside into the sunrise. He took a deep breath of fresh air and glanced toward the gallows that had been built just for Mr. and Mrs. Washington.

Executions were usually done over in Austin but Brody had pulled a few strings to have the trial and execution held here. The jury had been full of folks that cared a lot about Aiden and Nick and the judge had been a man who Brody knew was fond of men himself. Had it been a fair trial? No. Did Aiden's parents deserve a fair trial after what they'd done? Hell no.

Brody had promised Aiden that he would take care of those monsters and he kept his word when he gave it. He'd even talked the executioner into letting him pull the lever. Brody took care of what was his and he couldn't simply put a bullet in these folks the way he normally would have because Ty was being a stickler for the rules and insisted they needed a trial and a hanging.

It had been two months that the Washington's had been locked up in that cell. Two months waiting on the judge, going through the trial and building the gallows. Now finally justice would be served. Brody decided he didn't like doing things by the book. Two quick bullets the instant those two rode into town would have been quicker and simpler.

Laying his hand over his rumbling stomach, Brody decided to head to the diner for breakfast. There was still a good two hours before he was due to send Mary and Benjamin swinging.