Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Nick thought about quitting. He thought about tossing his hat out of the ring and riding off before he was able to make a complete and total ass of himself. But then again he liked working for the Atkinsons. It was better pay, better food and better people than he'd found on any other ranch he'd come across and he truly respected the woman standing in front of him giving him this impossible order.

"If Nick is busy that's okay," Aiden shrugged, clearly picking up on Nick's displeasure at Elizabeth's request for Nick to go with Aiden into town.

Nick swallowed hard and fought to appear unaffected by the sound of his name leaving Aiden's mouth. What the hell was wrong with him? Aiden was a man which probably meant he liked women. Even if by some miracle Aiden was like him that still didn't mean that Nick needed to be entertaining ideas of the two of them together. It just wasn't something that worked. Two men could not be together and be happy. Folks wouldn't allow it.

The stare that Elizabeth fixed him with made it clear that she wouldn't take no for an answer, "Nick, are you too busy to do what I need done?"

If there was one thing Nick had learned over the last few months it was that Elizabeth did not put up with anyone ignoring her orders or questioning her authority, "No, ma'am," Nick assured her.

"Good," Elizabeth turned her attention back to Aiden, "Aiden, I understand that you're a grown man and don't need a chaperone but you're also new around here. Not only that but there were a few things from my order missing and I need Nick to run by the mercantile and pick those up for me."

"Okay then," Aiden mumbled, kicking at the dirt with his scuffed boot.

"Just put your clothes on the ranch's tab at the tailor. Mr. Peabody won't have a problem with that. Make sure you get at least three outfits, a good pair of boots and some decent work gloves."

Aiden nodded and then flushed with embarrassment when his oversized hat toppled off his head and landed in the dirt. Nick stooped down and picked it up, shoving it into Aiden's chest, "A hat that fits would probably be a good idea too," Nick grumbled.

"Yeah probably," Aiden agreed as he plopped the big hat back on.

Nick looked down at those wide dark eyes that seemed so unsure of everything around them and fought the urge to hug Aiden close and assure him that everything would be okay. Nothing was ever okay so telling him that would be a lie; not to mention that Nick didn't even know the man and this urge to comfort him was not natural for Nick. He was not a comforter.

"I'll go get the cart ready," he grumbled and then stomped off toward the barn, wishing Aiden had never found his way to Bakerstown or Atkinson Spread. What was it with these Atkinson's and helping everybody anyhow?

***

Elizabeth frowned as she watched Nick storm away. It wasn't like him to be so hot tempered or angry. Never before had Elizabeth had to use her signature 'ice queen' stare on the man.

"Have the two of you disagreed on something or are you having trouble getting along?" she asked Aiden. "I know it's not my business but I don't like having the tension around the ranch."

"No, ma'am," Aiden replied and then he smiled when she gave him a droll look. "I mean no, Liz," he amended, "He just doesn't seem to like me much."

Elizabeth was wondering why that might be when Thomas and Sally came storming out of one of the barns, "Damn you, Sally Cooper! Not a damn thing I do is good enough for you is it?!" Thomas demanded loudly. Elizabeth sighed. It seemed these two lived to argue.