Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Brody, can I talk to you about something?" Thomas asked as the two men rode toward the cut fence lines to begin their campout for the night.

"I reckon your mouth works," Brody acknowledged with a nod.

Thomas rubbed at his horses neck and clicked his tongue, "It's a hard thing to bring up, Brody, and it's something I feel real guilty about after all you and Liz have done for me—"

"Jesus Christ, Thomas," Brody grinned as he took a draw off his cigarette, "Take the damn ranch up in Wyoming and get the hell off my spread."

Thomas blinked several times though he knew Brody well enough to know the man was simply trying to get him going and wasn't speaking in anger, "Who told you?"

"My boss told me and your boss told her."

Thomas nodded. Of course that's what had happened. Sally had told him that she had talked to Liz and it only made sense that Liz would discuss things with her husband.

"So you think I should go?" Thomas asked. "I don't want to cause you or Liz to think that I don't appreciate all the things you've done for me...."

"Why would we think that?" Brody shrugged and took a slow draw off his cigarette. "You and Sally are starting a family and you've gotta provide for your wife and child. Now you know damn well you're family, shit you're married to a part owner of this ranch, but this other ranch will be something you can pass down to your children."

"You think I can run my own ranch?"

"I reckon the hands'll run it just fine until you figure it all out," Brody replied with a chuckle.

Thomas paled, doubting whether or not he really could run a ranch. Sure he'd been working at ranches for the biggest part of his life except for those years he was with the Rangers, but running a ranch was a lot different than simply working on one and doing what you were told. Brody rolled his eyes and sighed. "You'll do just fine, Thomas. You know the ins and outs or running a ranch just as good as anybody else and whatever you don't know I'm sure Sally can teach you real quick."

Thomas laughed because he realized that Brody was right. Hell if there was anything that Thomas didn't know, Sally was sure to be an expert on it—and even if she wasn't she'd pretend to be and manage to get them through it. "Thanks Brody."

Instead of responding, Brody simply shrugged and then cursed under his breath as he and Thomas rode up on the cut fencing.

"Who in the hell would cut your fence, Brody?" Thomas demanded. "They must not know you or Liz very well if they did this and then still planned on breathing for any length of time."

"I don't know but I plan on finding out," Brody replied. "Ride on up about a quarter mile and hunker down out of sight. I'll do the same in that direction and we'll see if anybody shows up tonight. Come Monday we'll be needing an accurate head count of cattle and God help these bastards if they've touched a single Atkinson steer. Elizabeth'll have their heads on a platter if they have."

***

Nick led Aiden into the Bucking Bronco Saloon; while the name was laughable, the saloon itself possessed a much more down to earth and friendly atmosphere than the Five Finger Saloon. Nick didn't come here often because most folks here liked to strike up conversation and Nick wasn't a man who liked to share very many details about himself—though he had good reason for being so closed off.

Damn if he didn't feel proud as hell as he stepped into the well-lit noisy saloon with Aiden right beside him. Of course no one here could know that Nick felt proud to stand beside the other man but Nick felt proud all the same. Aiden was something to be proud of.