Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Nick couldn't help but laugh at Aiden's blurted out words. That man's mouth was as unpredictable as these spring Texas rains and storms that popped up.

"Yes, you're wet and I can smell breakfast," Nick's stomach rolled a bit and he covered it with his hand, "I don't think I'm hungry."

"You should probably try to get some food in your stomach," Aiden replied as he sat the tray on the bed, "I've heard it helps."

Nick simply grunted in response. He'd done nothing but think and fight with himself since Aiden had walked out that door and he'd come to the only conclusion that seemed reasonable..... He wanted Aiden and this time he'd make sure it was different. He'd protect Aiden with his very life if need be just to keep the past from repeating itself. He didn't know what would come of them being together or whether or not it would involve love but he knew he had to find out. Now that he'd met Aiden, going back to being alone without at least trying to be with the man simply wasn't an option.

"Go get some dry clothes on, Aiden," Nick urged. "Ya don't want to get sick."

Aiden seemed confused as he quickly grabbed a sack from the floor and hid himself behind the changing curtain.

Nick shoved his and through his short blond hair and tried hard not to imagine Aiden naked and wet standing behind that tiny screen....if he thought about it too much he'd be joining the other man.

Instead, Nick pulled the lid off the tray and nearly gagged when the full scent of the eggs, sausage, oatmeal and peaches hit his nose. He'd obviously had a bit too much to drink the night before. But Aiden was right and he needed to eat. There was no table big enough for two in this room so the bed would have to do.

Nick stood and poured them each a glass of water from the pitcher on the tiny table near the door and sat one on the floor beside his side of the bed and the other on the night stand. Then he sat down and waited.

After what seemed an eternity, Aiden came back around the curtain wearing a thin gray cotton shirt tucked into a pair of black trousers. The outfit emphasized his slender form and yet still managed to reveal the fact that he was covered in small lean muscles that Nick longed to feel and touch. His gaze strayed to Aiden's feet and he realized the man was barefoot just the same as he was.

"My boots were full of water," Aiden spoke up.

"I'd say they were," Nick agreed as he glanced through the rain soaked windowpane at the torrents of rain still falling from the sky, "I'd say this rain is here to stay for the day too."

"Probably."

Nick looked back toward Aiden and saw that he was standing beside the bed and looked nervous and unsure. He was chewing at the inside of his cheek and popping his knuckles one at a time, "Sit down, Aiden, and eat."

"I didn't think you'd be here when I got back from the diner," Aiden said as he sat down on the edge of the bed and cut off a piece of sausage with his fork.

"You brought two breakfasts," Nick replied, using his bare hands to grab a piece of his own sausage and plop it into his mouth.

Aiden blushed and looked away as he shrugged, "I didn't think you'd be here but I..uh.. I kind of hoped you would be."

Nick reached out and moved a lock of dark wet hair from Aiden's brow causing Aiden to freeze with his fork nearly to his mouth once again, "Nick, what does you being here mean?"