Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

While Aiden was uneasy and more than a little unsure about the talk he was going to have to have with Brody and Liz this evening, he still couldn't wipe the happy smile from his face as he cleaned out stalls.

Nick was his. He was Nick's. Aiden had never in a million and one years imagined he would actually find another man like him—let alone a man that was so strong, handsome, caring and genuinely good. Nick was perfect—bossy and surly at times—but perfect nonetheless.

Knowing he had Nick by his side helped ease some of Aiden's fears. Even if worst came to worst and Aiden had to run at least now he wouldn't have to run alone.

Aiden had been cleaning out these stalls for a good four hours straight and his back was beginning to ache. Deciding it was time for a break Aiden leaned the rake against the wall, rubbed at his low back and walked out of the barn and out into the sunshine.

He squinted against the sudden light and sighed when he realized just how hot it was going to be today. His eyes were drawn toward the main house and he saw Ellie looking exhausted and frustrated as she tried to hang out clothes while her son, Eli, who seemed to be older than one and yet younger than two was toddling around and trying to pull the clothes back down.

Aiden didn't know much about Ellie other than she was Jacob's wife and didn't have much of anything to do with the ranch hands. She kept herself in the house mostly when she wasn't outside chasing Eli.

Aiden heard a whimper as Eli tore down a freshly hung sheet. The boy roared with belly bursting laughter as he fell to the ground and rolled himself up in the wet fabric but Ellie was near tears.

Quickly Aiden jogged toward the clotheslines and then stood there awkwardly with his giant hat in his hands, "Ma'am, could you use some help?"

Ellie paused in her efforts to disentangle her son from his newfound play toy and glanced up at Aiden. She had pretty blue eyes and dark hair and she had tiny features, kind of like a doll. But she looked bad. She was pale and the dark circles around her eyes seemed more like bruises. Her face was drawn and a bit green.

"Aiden right?" she asked after several seconds of studying him.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Please call me Ellie," Ellie stood up straight, clearly giving up her quest to save her bed sheet for which Eli seemed grateful as he squealed and rolled up in it a bit tighter.

"Could you use some help, Ellie?" Aiden asked as he slid his hat back on his head. "You looked like you were having a bit of trouble."

"I am," she admitted with defeat. "I'm not feeling well at all today and I have a mountain of clothes to hang out and Eli to tend to and...."

Aiden shrugged, "I can hang out your clothes." He'd never actually done that before but it looked simple enough and it was clear this woman was dead on her feet.

"I couldn't ask you to do that! You're busy with chores of your own!" Ellie exclaimed. "I'm usually much tougher than this it's just..... Jacob is out of town; gone to Austin, and he won't be back for a week and I'm feeling a bit lonely and then Eli is a wild child and I'm nauseous and tired and...."

"Are you with child?" Aiden asked and then clamped his mouth shut when he realized he'd just blurted out a question he had no business asking. He covered his mouth with his hand as he stared at Ellie with wide eyes.

Ellie looked surprised for a moment and Aiden waited on her to start yelling but instead she sighed, "Yes, and I don't want to be. I was so sick the entire time with Eli and it's clear that this time will be no different." She fixed him with a pleading stare, "No one knows yet so can you please...."