ᴠɪ. 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘢 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦

tw - underage drug use

I already told you, I love you, Jo

but you don't like me, mom.

JO'S BODY WAS AS still as stone as her mom began to paint her portrait

JO'S BODY WAS AS still as stone as her mom began to paint her portrait. She was wearing a flower crown that was made with daisies and chrysanthemums.

Her outfit consisted of her deb ball dress, which she still hated by the way, her hair falling to cover her bare shoulders.

She sat on the beach, a towel hidden under her dress so that it wouldn't be ruined by sand or dirt. Joanna stayed quiet as she glanced behind her at the shore, lost in thought.

"Jo," her mom said making her head whip around.

"Yeah?" She said, barely above a whisper.

"What are you thinking about?" Her mom tried to make conversation.

Joanna hadn't talked to her much since Belly's birthday, she felt absent in her daughter's life.

"Nothin'." She replied breathlessly before looking down at her dress, "are we almost done?" She asked in a whisper tone.

"Yeah, uh, did you figure out what charity you're representing for the volleyball tournament?" Her mom asked, changing the subject as she focused on painting the dress.

Joanna stayed quiet, "uh... I was thinking of the American Cancer Society." She revealed. Her mom looked up, surprised, almost touched, like Jo's answer was deeper to her. Joanna looked up, "me and Ezra might win, might not. I'm not the best at volleyball, but it's to raise money, right?"

Susannah smiled and nodded, hiding her face behind her canvas to wipe tears. "Yeah, uh, Belly's supporting Homeless Women's Shelter."

Joanna rolled her eyes and looked away, "God, can we not talk about Belly for one minute, Mom?" She broke.

Susannah stopped painting, "whenever I'm trying to share something with you, you always bring Belly up! 'Belly's doing this, Belly's doing that. Belly's absolutely gorgeous this summer, have you seen her?' Yes, I have, and I'm going to go crazy if she is mentioned one more God damn time." Jo covered her mouth with her hand and avoided eye contact with her mom.