17. Reflection

| Clara Campbell |

| Clara Campbell |

Standing in front of the mirror, I looked at the girl that was staring back at me. I felt sick to my stomach about all of it. I hated everything from the tight, white polo shirt to the pristine black shoes. 

I put my left foot forward, trying to see if that would make any difference, then changed it to my other foot. I blew a breath out, knowing no matter what I did, I looked odd in such an expensive uniform. 

My pale complexion, ratty brown hair, my eyes, my nose, my eyebrows. Everything about me screamed that I was too poor for this school. Even the piping on the blazer would have cost double what my entire rent back home would have. Everything about this uniform was way too expensive. 

"Clara, we have to leave now" I heard Carter round the corner. Apparently, he had interned at a local restaurant, where he can learn to be a chef. He had to be at work at 8am this morning, and most mornings apparently, which meant that I had to be at school, half an hour earlier, because even though my school was on the way, it was still half an hour further to Carter's work. 

I didn't move from my spot, as I looked at my reflection. I went from wearing jeans and crewnecks most days of the year, to now standing in front of a mirror that probably cost just as much as this uniform, even though I knew I asked for the cheaper one. I knew that this mirror was the more expensive one, that same one I told Auston not to buy me cause I knew I wouldn't need it. 

"Clara" Carter rounded the corner to my bedroom door, stopping in the doorway. I still didn't look away from the mirror, as I untucked my shirt, and threw my blazer off. I hated every part of it. I could see from the corner of my eye that Carter had a smile tugging softly at his lips. I knew he found it amusing, as he couldn't read what was going on in my mind. 

Auston and Greyson were just about the only two that understood me on a deeper level. They always knew when something was off, but Greyson had left for deployment early this morning, so early that I didn't get the chance to say goodbye. 

Auston had left for work, as I had awoken to him leaving my bedroom, after he had placed a kiss to my forehead. He was who I wished was here, dropping me off to school. But, maybe with Carter, I could pretend that I was sick. I had been dreading this day for days on end now. 

At the end of the day, none of them would understand what really was going on. None of them had to go to a private school, where none of your siblings can be with you, or have been there. I guess that's a good thing, as I was always expected to be smart, just like the rest of them, but that gave me a sense of comfort. I was looked as their little sister, not an outsider, who came all the way from San Francisco. 

I heard a phone ringing, as I pulled the tie that was wrapping around my neck, looser, before completely undoing it. I then kicked my shoes off, before sitting down on the end of my bed. I knew that if I didn't go at the start of the week, that it would be even worse tomorrow, but I just couldn't do it.