21. Everything's Changed

| Caleb Campbell | 

| Caleb Campbell | 

Walking into Auston's house after gym, I was expecting more chaos to be going on then what there was. The house was practically dead silent, for someone knowing that their little sister would be rushing around, trying to make sure that everything was perfect, even if it was only her second day there. 

There was never telling her anything different, even when we were just walking down the street to the state school, she always wanted to be dressed perfectly. I peeked my head into the living room, seeing that the TV was on, playing the morning news. Auston was not in sight, where he usually would be standing with a mug of coffee. 

I looked down, noticing that Clara was curled up on Kaiden's chest, as the two of them were dead asleep. I did not think that I would be seeing these two, curled up on the couch, this early into everything. They had been the two that had spoken the least about everything that had gone on after Kaiden left. 

Clara had barely spoken to them about what I knew went on. I knew majority of what had happened with her and our parents. I knew the most out of everyone, but I had never said a word because it wasn't my story to tell. Clara had to be the one that was ready, not me, as it didn't happen to me, it happened to her, and she deserves to be the one that tells them the right way. 

I could see Kaiden's eyes flickering as he looked between Clara and the TV. "Kaid" I murmured, trying to get his attention. "Kaiden" I called again, finally getting him to look my way, showing the bags under his eyes and just how tired he was. He could barely keep his eyes open just by looking at me. 

"Go get some sleep. I'll take it from here" he just nodded, while I walked around the couch, so that as he slipped out, I was slipping right in under Clara. I had had a shower at the gym, so there was no need for her getting mad at me for being sweaty and gross. I knew how much she hated it when we came here and dumped our gym stuff at the front door, and made it smell the house out. 

I watched as he stood in the doorway for a second, staring at the two of us, as his soft smile was still planted on his face. He then finally walked away, dragging his feet up the stairs. I knew how exhausted he must be, making sure that Clara was the one that had the peaceful sleep. 

After what had happened at her new school, I knew that getting as much sleep as possible was a way for her to escape whatever thoughts were going on in her head. So that she wasn't reliving whatever had happened to her. 

That was one way I knew that mom and dad had done something to her, was whenever she cooped herself up in bed, trying to sleep. I had watched her do it, following in my footsteps. I had learnt that sleep was the best thing to do whenever you were trying to avoid something, more likely your siblings and parents. 

I watched, as my little sisters brows furrowed, while she clutched onto my hoodie as tightly as she possibly could in her sleep. I cradled her head with one arm, while I used my other hand to lightly brush up her nose, across her forehead, and then down her cheeks. She visibly relaxed, making me fall further into the couch, feeling relieved.