34. Under The Influence

| Colton Campbell |

| Colton Campbell |

*TW: some mentions of topics maybe disturbing for some, so please skip this chapter if it makes you uncomfortable in any way. This is not intended to hurt or target anyone or anything*

5 and a half weeks ago

I had been dragged out of my apartment, by my friends, making me bring my little brother. He had been very quiet recently, rather focusing on his football practice and gym work that he had missed out on. He rarely spoke to me now that we had been back from San Francisco. 

It didn't worry me too much, as he had always been quiet. Stepping into my shoes, I quickly raced out of my room, finding my little brother already waiting for me, as we walked out in silence. We waited for the lift in silence. Everything was quiet. I knew it wouldn't be later, so I soaked it up for the little while. 

Stepping into the elevator, time seemed to pass faster in the silence, because before I knew it, I was out of the elevator, with Caleb following me to the car that my friends were in. I had lost a bit of contact with some of my friends from football now that I was hanging out with some of my friends in classes, especially Josh who I was partnered with for an assignment. 

So, as I climbed into the loud car, that smelled of smoke, I turned to my brother, when I noticed that there was no more seats in the car. I took in the way that his nose scrunched up at the smell, knowing that he would have thought of where we had just come from, in San Francisco. 

"Hey buddy, you'll have to get your own way there!" a laugh ensured the words by Josh, and made guilt fill me, at the thought of my little brother having to find another way there. "That's okay. I would rather be on my own right now anyways" he murmured, looking me dead in the eye, as I shut the door, with the window still rolled down. 

I just nodded, and we drove off, as my brother was left on the sidewalk. I was guilty, but at the same time, I couldn't do everything for him, even though I had said I would give him a life there with my friends. I had told Josh that my little brother was coming too, but maybe he forgot and brought more of his friends rather than thinking of me and my little brother. 

Everything seemed to fly by, as everyone was talking and cheering while the entire car was filled with smoke. I hung my head out the window, trying not to inhale it, knowing just what Auston would say to me if he found out. I knew exactly what would happen if Caleb found me high on something from these friends. 

I knew and I still did nothing about it. Rolling out of the car, I stumbled into the party, being partly unstable from my long legs being crammed in a tiny car. I followed my friends, getting lost in the crowd of people shoving things in my face. I didn't get a chance to know whether or my brother had made it to the party or not.