1. Warm Welcome

"So... You want to be a special soldier?"

I stared at the older man who'd spoken to me like I was brain damaged. He sat behind his long desk in the middle of his hot, stuffy office, watching me with disgust on his face. He kept a fake smile behind his mustache, not bothering to hide how lowly he thought of me.

Commander Stoll.

"I wish to be part of your Special Operations Unit, sir," I replied, keeping both my posture and voice strong.

He wasn't happy with my reply, or maybe he hated how well I held my head up and didn't avert my gaze, no matter how long he tried to stare me down.

He snorted and stood up slowly. He stayed silent as he made his way around the desk and over to me. He towered over me so close I was forced to look up. He enjoyed that.

"And what makes you a good fit for my unit?" he asked.

"Sir, allow me," my captain spoke next to me, handing my file to this man who didn't want me here.

"Keep it brief," the older man said, not touching the file, still staring me down.

"Yes, sir," my captain said, and quickly went through my qualifications. My education, my training, my missions, and lastly, my accomplishments. People I had killed. Or protected. "As you can see, his talents are going to waste in our unit. In any other unit. He would make a great addition to your crew."

Commander Stoll snorted again.

"So you killed a few terrorists, and you think you have what it takes to be in the big league," he said, turning his back on me.

"Private Steele is strong. Fast. Quick to think. Many agree he has what it takes to be in your–"

"And who are these many?" the commander asked, turning back around. "Got any names to give me?"

My captain was taken aback. "Sir. With all due respect, I personally handpicked him. My name should be enough. Private Steele fills all the qualifications for this position. He is an exceptional fighter. I don't understand why we're still here talking about this when you've gladly accepted every soldier I've sent you?"

He did. We all did.

"With all due respect," the commander repeated the words slowly, mockingly, "I'm not quite sure you remember what counts as a good fit around here, Captain Fernard."

"His training alone–"

"Means nothing if his mere presence in the unit turns the rest of my men into mindless animals!" the commander said sharply. "You brought an omega into my base full of alphas!"

My captain looked angry, but he swallowed his words and took a calming breath. But it was I who spoke next.

"Sir. I've been on hormone suppressants for six years. I no longer produce hormones that could affect alphas, and they can't detect my heats. Even I can barely feel them," I said. "There are several documents in my file proving this all, and your own doctors can easily test me."

"That sounds good. In theory," he spat at me. "But when you go out there, you may not get your hands on your medication for weeks, and then what?"

"It will take months, maybe even years, before my hormonal balance goes back to normal after dropping my medication completely," I explained calmly. "That has already been tested with me. The documents are in the file."

"Very well, let's say that's not an issue. But you are capable of becoming pregnant, yes?" he asked, the tone in his voice promising nothing good.

"Yes, but I'm not here to have sex. However, I am on birth control because they amplify the effects of my suppressants," I explained, but the commander had started laughing halfway through.