35. Unspoken Name

Since Captain and Nico were sure they didn't need our help with the list Thomas Auburn had asked for, Reid and I decided to head back to the hospital and continue our mission to keep the place safe.

"I'll go grab some spare clothes," I told Reid when we were ready to return.

"What's wrong with my clothes?" he asked with a grin.

I only chuckled at his remark and climbed up the stairs. He followed me quietly all the way to our room and stopped to wait for me by the door when I headed to my desk.

It wasn't only the clothes I needed. Since we'd stayed the past few nights at the hospital, I couldn't take my medication yesterday, so I had to make sure I wouldn't forget it now. It was fine if I missed a day or two, but I had to start keeping a few pills with me at all times in case we got more missions like these and didn't return home for days.

"Crap, you didn't have your medication with you, either..." Reid mumbled.

"It's fine. One day doesn't do anything," I said reassuringly.

I heard him making his way to me, so I quickly took my pills and shoved the bottles into my bag. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of letting him see my medication... But it didn't have much to do about the medication.

It was because of the Lace... I didn't want to have any kind of conversations that could lead to someone asking me about it. I still couldn't even think about it without feeling bad. And scared. Like I was suddenly suffocating...

"I'll just grab some spare clothes and we're good to go," I told Reid, and walked away from him just when he stopped behind me.

"Ri...?" he said slowly.

It took me a second to realize Ri was a nickname he'd given me, and he wasn't looking for rye or something.

"Yeah?" I asked and glanced at him shortly.

"You all right?" he asked softly and took a few steps after me.

"Of course. It's fine. I can miss a day. It's totally fine," I said while grabbing a few T-shirts and sweatpants from my closet.

"For a moment there, I..." he mumbled, and when I turned back to him, he watched me carefully. "It felt like something is wrong."

I shrugged and gave him a crooked smile. "I'm good. I mean... It's been really shitty few days. I still feel bad for that Thomas kid..."

"Right," he said, and looked away with a nod. "Me too."

I glanced at him, then sighed. "Maybe his mate still is alive."

"Well I didn't see anyone, but they did have time to escape before we arrived."

"Right?" I said, feeling my hopes getting up a little.

"But that's still only two chances out of seventeen."

"Right..." I mumbled, that hope vanishing again.

"Sorry," Reid said with a small chuckle. "I'm sure his mate is alive."

"Yeah..."

Once I had all the spare clothes I'd need, we headed downstairs. Captain and Nico were in the tech room, already working on the list of attackers. They hadn't gotten too far yet, but at least two of the people were already identified. We told them our goodbyes and wished luck with the rest of the list, then left them alone.

Reid and I stayed silent until we were standing outside in the sunny yard. He gestured for me to follow him, but before I did, I glanced over my shoulder.