6. Partners

"Riley – this is Reid Bishop," the captain said.

I nodded as a greeting, but Reid only crossed arms over his chest and glared at me, then at the captain. He said nothing.

"This is all very sudden, I know, but Riley needs a partner," Captain Hale said. "I think you two would do well together. You're both trained in close combat and silent fights, and–"

"No. I work alone," the man only said, his voice fed up, and walked to his wardrobe.

"Reid. You need a partner. You know how this works," the captain continued while Reid pulled out a towel.

"And you know how I work," he said as he turned back to us. "I don't need a partner. They're just slowing me down," he added, giving me an unimpressed glance.

The captain let out a quiet sigh, taking a slow step toward him.

"I get it... I do. You want to work alone, and I understand why you believe it's better that way... But it's not. It's not good for you. Maybe you can't see that yourself, but I can. You need a partner, Reid. It's time we give it a go," he said, then added quietly, "It's been three years."

Something about those words immediately flared up Reid's anger. He lowered his head and growled lightly, baring his teeth. It was a highly hostile gesture, and I suddenly missed my knives.

"There's no need for that, my boy," Captain Hale said quietly, staying calm as he stepped even closer to him.

"Yes there is because you're not fucking listening!" Reid shouted at him.

"I am listening. And I know you're..." the captain took a short glance at me, clearly hoping I wasn't there to listen. For some reason, I had the feeling he was going to say the word, afraid. "I need you to trust me on this, my boy. This is a good change," he ended up saying.

Reid shook his head, stepping away from him. "Why are you doing this to me?" he asked, his voice broken.

"Reid..." Captain Hale muttered when he left the room.

I heard the door to the showers being slammed shut, and silence fell in the hallway.

The captain let out a sigh. "Well that went... not great," he said in sadness. "He'll calm down soon. Then I can talk to him again. In the meantime, you can stay in this room, in case... In case I can change his mind."

I almost stayed silent, but I had to point it out...

"You said he's lost his partners," I said quietly. "He's still broken about it."

He let out a sad sigh. "I know. But he needs a partner."

"I don't think it's a good idea," I said.

"No, trust me, he needs it," he said quietly, staring out the door. "Or he'll stay broken."

"He bared his teeth at you. He was being very serious about not wanting a partner."

The captain glanced at me over his shoulder. "Don't worry about it. My boys can be a little rough sometimes. Their alphas are very articulate, but you'll get used to it."

A little rough...? Growling and baring teeth at their superior counted as being a little rough? I tried not to stare at him, but I had to wonder what kind of person didn't mind such a dangerous gesture. All those two people I'd seen showing similar disrespect in this army had suffered serious consequences.

"You'll be fine. He's got nothing against you," the captain said reassuringly after he noticed I was still staring.

"Better put that on my headstone," I said, grabbing my bag.