27. Elite Games

The hike around the hills was great. After being pretty much forced to stay indoors for so long, walking around for several hours really did me good. For one, I really got to stretch my legs, but the fresh air and the awesome views gave my mental health a good boost. My omega enjoyed the change of scenery as well, and it stayed awake almost the entire time. It had rarely stayed awake for so long...

I was happy to have its company. When it was awake, I sensed the world around me in a different, better way. With my omega's help, I could hear things and see things I normally couldn't. I could read the alphas and their messages. My omega could spot hints and cues I was normally oblivious to. I had no idea the alphas were so active and constantly sending messages to each other. Like they were chatting as well, just like us humans.

I really enjoyed seeing the world through my omega's eyes. I felt somehow... safer. Without my omega, it was like parts of the world were covered with curtains, and behind them, I could only hear sinister whispers, and those whispers were so quiet I couldn't tell if I really heard them, or if I was losing my mind. But when my omega was awake, I could see past the curtains and usually find out I had nothing to be scared of.

I wished it would stay with me more from now on. I'd felt so lonely without it. Lonely and weak. And scared. If it would retreat again and stay asleep... The thought of having to be all alone most of my life just... We weren't supposed to be alone.

But it seemed happy now. It was so quick to wake up to see what was going on now. Maybe... If all the bad was behind us now... Maybe everything would be all right now.

I really wanted that...

"I need a shower," Reid told me once we got back home. "You?"

Pretty much our whole hiking group was in the showers at that moment... That was... quite a lot of alphas. Big, strong alphas. In one small room. Naked. And at least one of them was in rut. I was fine with showering when there were like one or two of them, but now I was counting six.

"You'll be used as a fucking toy!"

I turned away from Reid, taking a slow breath, while Stoll was making his advances in my head...

"We can wait until everyone else is done. And I can wait so you can go before me," Reid told me quietly.

I turned to my omega. Would we be fine taking a shower with so many of them? My omega was a bit hesitant, but if Captain was there, then we'd be fine, right?

"It's fine," I said, choosing to stop being so insecure. I refused to let Stoll win. I refused to let him have any kind of power over me. "I'll just grab my towel."

But when I turned around, Reid stood in my way with his arms crossed and a stern look on his face.

"We should wait," he only said.

"I'm fine," I told him. "I need a shower, so I'll take a shower."

He tilted his head and raised his eyebrow, but said nothing.

"I am fine," I said, but he didn't even blink as he stared at me. "I am..."

Are we...? my omega asked, feeling much better about staying with Reid than taking a shower with five other alphas, especially since one of them was in rut.

I let out a sigh and looked away. I felt like I was letting Stoll win...

"You are fine," Reid told me softly, and when I turned back to him, he lowered his head, his posture softening as his alpha let us know we were safe with them. "But we haven't built enough trust with you yet. That will take time."