18. In the Past

I stared at the ceiling without blinking. I was in bed, trying to fall asleep, but how could I after such a night? It was five in the morning, and I was still alone at the base. It was so quiet... Too quiet... My omega and I both listened very carefully to the sounds in the building, tensing up every time we heard even the tiniest of sounds. It was mostly the cars outside the building or the fridges in our closets that made noise, but I couldn't relax. I had to keep fighting myself so I wouldn't go check the doors and windows again.

Fuck's sake... I was afraid of the alphas close to me, and the loneliness when they were gone... Never good enough, huh...?

But finally, a couple of cars parked just outside our headquarters, and when I jumped out of the bed to peer outside, I saw two trucks and people getting out of them by the street. I assumed they were my teammates. They were still in their full tactical gear, their faces hidden behind masks, and standing so far away I couldn't really tell who was who. Some of them were heading to the door, so I quickly tiptoed my way out of the room and closer to the stairs.

I stopped behind the corner to listen as the main entrance opened without an issue. A second later, I heard quiet words and recognized all the voices, so both my omega and I were finally able to relax.

I stepped out of the shadows and leaned against the railing to greet the guys who were climbing up the stairs. The first one who spotted me stopped to stare at me.

"You."

Captain pulled his mask off and gave me a stern glare as he marched the rest of the way up.

"Why are you still up?" he asked with a furious frown.

I had only one way to save myself.

"I... couldn't sleep," I said, keeping my voice small. "I tried to, but it was too quiet... My omega couldn't relax at all..."

Captain's stare softened. "I'm sorry we left you all alone," he muttered, carefully touching my arm. "But we're home. You can rest now."

"I can try, but... So much happened last night, and I'm still very confused about everything, so I don't know if I can sleep... If I could stay up and listen for a bit..."

He leaned closer to me, crossing arms over his chest. "Is that so...?"

"Yes. I'd definitely sleep better if I got some answers," I said.

"Uh-huh," he uttered slowly, then squinted his eyes at me. "Nice try. You're going to bed. Now."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "But I want to know what happened!"

"Stubborn, stubborn little omega..." Captain muttered, grabbing me by my arm. "Reid? Make sure he goes straight to bed."

"Yes, sir," my partner said, and reached toward me like he was grabbing me, but stopped to wait for my permission.

I rolled my eyes again. "Fine..."

"That's a good boy," Captain said. "We'll talk tomorrow morning."

"Can you at least tell me, did you find the real terrorist group?" I asked, while Reid took a hold of my arm.

"Negative," Captain said with a sigh. "But the search isn't over yet."

"And the alpha kid? Is he all right with the mafia?" I asked.

"Michael will do the right thing. The kid will show up at a hospital soon," Captain said.

"And what if he doesn't?" I asked.

"We know where to look for him. But now you will go to bed," Captain said.

"Come on," Reid said, yanking my arm.