11. Warming Up

I leaned against the wall, sideways, my arms crossed. Captain stood in front of me, also leaning against the wall, but rubbing my arm gently. I'd needed a moment to gather myself, and the patient man he was had stayed to wait with me. I was still sniffing after my little emotional breakdown.

"Look at me..." I mumbled, wiping my nose. "A fucking elite soldier..."

He gave me a sad smile. "Crying is perfectly all right. We're all humans here with our emotional needs."

I nodded a little. "Right..."

"Maybe you'll be surprised by how often we break down emotionally. You will see my boys crying their eyes out after a failed mission. After finding the kidnapped people we were supposed to save dead in a river. After someone blows up a school. After they find an elderly woman with her hands chopped off because she told us everything she knows," the captain spoke quietly.

I closed my eyes, already shivering in disgust and fear of having to witness something like that.

"That is why we need our partners. Not only to watch our backs on missions, but to be there after everything has gone to shit," he continued. "We won't last long without emotional support."

I nodded and sniffed again, straightening my posture. "I do feel better now. So... Thank you."

"I'll always be here for you," he said gently, smiling. "If you ever need support or want to talk, I'll be right here for you."

"Thanks... Now I'm really hungry..." I told him.

"Aight. Let me tell Nico to stay in our room first. Then we can get you something to eat," he said, and opened the door.

I nodded and stayed back while he left the room. I took a careful sniff at the air just outside my door, but it was nice and fresh. I shivered at the thought of those strong pheromones... And I hated Stoll even more. He did this to me... He made me like this... And the fucking rutting season had just started... My first month here was going to be unbearable if the gel didn't work... And it wasn't fair to my teammates.

Fuck... How could I even ask them to use the gel just because of me? I'd just joined their team and they already had to accommodate my needs... They'd already learn to hate me or at least be annoyed by me. How was I ever going to fit in?

"Riley?" Captain called for me in the hallway.

I stepped to the doorway and peered out. The captain stood there, smiling.

"Come, the breakfast is almost ready," he said.

I nodded and made my way to him. "I... Please tell Nico I'm sorry. I hate having to ask him to do this," I muttered.

"He's fine," Captain said reassuringly. "He understands. Once I've had something to eat, I'll go find the gel for him."

"And he has to stay in his room the entire time. It's not right," I mumbled.

"Hey..." the man said, touching my shoulder gently. I looked up at him, and he smiled. "Do not feel sorry for Nico. That boy gets to play his video games all day because of you. He is thrilled."

"He is?" I asked, peering at their door.

"Oh, yes, he's absolutely loving this," Captain said with a chuckle. "Come. Food. Now."

I nodded, and turned to face the living room, but spotted Reid standing there, watching me. Was he... worried about me? The captain hummed, then walked past us both when I stopped in front of Reid.

"Sorry..." I mumbled.

"You all right?" he asked with a frown.

"Yeah... The pheromones just..." I trailed off, not really sure if I wanted to go into detail with him. He'd ask me a ton of questions, most of which I didn't want to answer. "It got intense, but I'm fine now."