9. Fall of True Order

"Welcome to our video seminar. You're watching this because you have been recruited to our Special Operations Unit. Congratulations. I'm Sergeant Colton, and in this first part of our seminar, we talk about the fall of True Order, and the rise of terrorism around the globe."

I rolled my eyes and rubbed my temples as I sat behind my laptop. This seminar was fucking mandatory. All three hours of it. I already knew all this, but I still had to watch it through.

"In the nineteen-sixties, True Order was still the biggest political party in our country, with up to eighty percent support rate in the majority of states, and at least sixty-five in the rest. Their main political views revolved around affordable housing, education, and health care; the growth of a rich social and economic infrastructure; and preserving individual freedom.

"Noble views, however, this all was only meant for alphas, as they strongly believed omegas were lesser beings, weak and far less intellect, therefore didn't need basic human rights, and were treated as possession."

"You mean as pets, slaves, and baby makers," I muttered to the screen.

"Over the years, attitudes changed, and omegas began gaining more rights, while True Order kept losing support in each round of elections, until the rival parties outnumbered them. Entering the twenty-first century, the support rate of the True Order party had plummeted below forty percent, being as low as fifteen percent in many states.

"And in the year two-thousand and two, all laws restricting omegas and their rights were demolished, and they were declared as equals to alphas. But this day that should've marked the exciting beginning of a new era of equality went down in history as the Day of Eleven Flags."

I was five years old that day, but I still remembered it. The whole country was watching the news when the laws were demolished. Minutes later, several groups of True Order supporters set off bombs in eleven cities, killing thousands of people. On that day each year, black flags were hoisted all over the country to mourn the people lost.

But it didn't end there.

"That day brought terrorism into our lives," the sergeant continued with a grim voice. "Encouraged by the horrific events of the Day of Eleven Flags, the supporters of True Order began attacking civilians, setting bombs in large, crowded buildings and events. The political party itself dissociated themselves from these groups, loudly demanding for their supporters to stop engaging in these deadly acts, but later it was found that some of the biggest figures in the party were endorsing these groups, supported them financially, or even took part in the terroristic attacks. These discoveries marked the end of the True Order party, as it was quickly disbanded and banned from politics."

Which made things only worse.

"With these attacks on the rapid rise, our military and police force couldn't respond to these threats as efficiently as would've been needed. In two-thousand and three, military special operations units were founded all over the country as a response, and you are now in one of them."

The man stared at me, and I paused the video. Suddenly, I felt... I felt something. My reason to be in this unit had never had much to do with True Order, but listening to this seminar was bringing up hatred I didn't know I had.

When I was about to continue watching the video, someone knocked on the door. Thank fucking god...

"Come in."

It was the captain who opened the door. "Mind if I interrupt?"

"Not at all," I said and turned around in my seat.

He made his way to my desk and peered at the screen. "You're watching the seminar?"

"Just started," I said, glancing at the laptop. "It's the first episode."