14. Watched Over

It was the fastest computer I'd ever used... And still...

"Why is this taking so long...?" I groaned, leaning back in my seat to rub my eyes.

Reid snorted in amusement next to me. "Come on. It's going through thousands and thousands of images. It's not going to happen in seconds."

"It's been running through them since yesterday..." I said with a sigh. "And we still don't have much."

"Hey, it's all right," Reid told me, leaning closer. "You already found him in five new videos. You will get there."

"Sorry... I'm just very impatient..."

"Great... I'm not fucked at all..." Reid said, and when I looked at him, he was holding back his smirk.

I snorted at him and returned his smile. "Sorry... I just can't do much without these results..."

He watched me for a brief moment, then glanced at his computer. "You know what? It'll take time before I get this new batch of plates run through the system. Let's go for a walk or something. We need fresh air."

That actually sounded good...

"Yes, let's do that," I said, but immediately froze when I realized what it meant.

I'd have to walk around... the base full of alphas...? At the start of the rutting season?

I guess Reid noticed it.

"You'll be fine with me," he said quietly. "We can ask if someone else wants to tag along as well. More the merrier, right?"

So I'd get gang raped by the whole team instead of just him...? Fuck, I hated how my mind worked so much... Why was the first thing I thought of...? I forced it out of my head. I was fine. My teammates were fine. They didn't want to hurt me...

But it was still so hard to trust...

"I uh... Just the two of us, maybe? I could use some peace and quiet..." I said, avoiding his gaze.

Maybe I could keep myself together better if it was just us two...

"All right. Want to go now or...?" he asked.

"Sure, why not?" I said, acting braver than I was.

"And where are we going?"

We turned around to see Captain standing behind us.

"Just for a walk," Reid said with a shrug, while the captain watched me.

"Hmm. Are you now...?" he asked slowly, still looking at me.

"Yeah. We need fresh air," I told him, trying to avoid giving him any messages.

"Do you now...?"

Reid let out a breath. "Can we please go for a little walk around the Lions' Gate?" he asked, like a child was asking his father's permission.

"Not around Lion's Gate, no," Captain said sternly. "You know what? I have a few phone calls to make, so why don't I take you to the lake where you can have your little walk?"

Reid turned to look at me.

"I... Sure," I said.

"Great! Let's do that. If you don't mind, I'll ask Nico to accompany me, hmm?"

"Sure, let's do that," I said.

"Great! See you at my car in five," he said and made his way to his partner.

Reid and I watched him in silence for a moment, but then my partner leaned closer to me.

"He'll stop doing that in a few months," he whispered to me.