4. Hope

I didn't die that night. My body healed. Nothing was broken, apart from my spirits. Even the Lace was fine. And after everything the commander did to me, I waited for his call like a good soldier. I waited for my transfer. I think, at that point, it was the only thing keeping me together.

But part of me didn't actually believe Stoll. As the days went by, and I was still stuck with my old unit, I couldn't shake the feeling that the commander never was going to let me into his unit, that he'd only wanted to have a little bit of fun with me in his boredom. I felt ghosted. Used, humiliated, broken, and ghosted.

It was hard to believe he was keeping his word. So, again, when I was finally led into a big meeting room on a Friday afternoon two weeks later, and I faced Commander Stoll and nine of his twelve captains sitting around a long table, I thought it wasn't real. That I was dreaming. I had to be dreaming, but I knew I was not when two of the alpha captains laughed at the sight of me, shaking their heads like I was a joke.

Yes, I was there, but this was the end of the line for me. These alphas would never accept me. Everything I had done to get here was all for nothing, I understood that now.

"Omega," one said, glancing at the commander. "Your fine new recruit is an omega?"

"Since when have you even considered their kind?" another asked.

"Come on, seriously? Is this why we're here?"

My omega hated being there. It was scared out of its mind, but I held my pose, my chin up, my posture straight, trying to look bigger and taller than I really was. I needed to... I just needed to impress one of them. I just needed to get into one of the teams and maybe...

Just maybe... my hell would finally end...

But I couldn't impress any of them. It was written all over their faces as they watched me in disbelief.

"You all read his file, no?" the commander asked them, but his eyes were on me. He was amused. He enjoyed watching me get humiliated and belittled by his captains. That was the only reason he'd invited me here.

"I did, but it said nothing about omegas."

"Oh. My mistake. I must've left that info out by accident," the commander said with a mean look in his eyes.

So fucking frustrating... All nine of them had read my file. All nine of them had been impressed enough to come see me in person. And none of them couldn't get over the fact that I was an omega, no matter how impressive the rest of my resume was.

"Sorry, but it's a no from me. I'm not taking an omega into my team. That's just not going to work."

"Yeah I'm not taking any chances."

"I'm out, too. Omega just messes things up."

It fucking hurt... I'd let the commander break me... for nothing... I fucking let him rape me just so I could stand here in this room and be turned down.

I couldn't do this...

Three of them walked straight out the door. Silence fell while the remaining six tried to decide if they should follow them.

I almost couldn't breathe...

"You've never accepted an omega before," one of them said, peering at me with mild curiosity in his eyes. "Why this one?"

"He's good at... convincing," Commander Stoll said, flashing a mean grin at me. "I have my doubts, I'll admit that much, but maybe it's time to see how it'll go with an omega."

"So this is a... test?"

"Yes. A test. We'll give it a go in case it'll work out. If he fails, well, then I can say I told you so."