25. To Train the Assassin

[Psst, I made a mistake with my timeline at the end of the previous chapter, so if you were early and caught Captain getting the phone call right at  the end, that didn't happen. I was a whole week too early with it, and it has now been fixed]

*****

Saturday wasn't a lot of fun for me since my heat was going on in full force. The Lace in me was acting up, but the painkillers really helped with the pain, so it wasn't as bad as the first heat with it. The heating blanket and especially the pad were godsent. I stayed the entire day wrapped in them in my room, and I was well taken care of as both Captain and Reid battled for the right to get me whatever I needed. It was both adorable and annoying, but we all survived.

Sunday was much better already as my heat was coming to its end, and I was able to join the guys who weren't on a mission in the living room for a movie marathon. I'd never enjoyed staying still for the entire day, and I'd had two of them in a row, but with my heat, it was a blessing. I was too tired to do anything after the few sleepless nights.

But on Monday, I was full of restless energy and need to move. I couldn't stand still a minute longer, and I really, desperately needed to get out of the house.

So the second I spotted Captain in the kitchen that morning, I marched up to him.

"Riley! Good morning! How are you feeling?" he asked with a wide smile when I stopped in front of him.

"I get to start training today, right?" I asked him.

He chuckled in amusement. "You seem perky today."

"I need. To get out. Of this house," I told him sternly. "Please. Just for half an hour or something. I'm going crazy."

He gave me a reassuring smile. "I did promise you can start training with us today."

"Yes!" I breathed out.

"I guess I don't need to ask if you feel well enough for it," he said, measuring me from head to toe.

"Nope. I'm fine. Perfect. So good," I said in a hasty manner. "Just let me train. Please."

"All right, all right," he said, chuckling. "Go eat your breakfast, then we'll see how we start."

"Yes, sir!" I said, and hurried to get my plate, then joined Reid at his table.

"Do we finally get to see your stealth armor?" he asked.

I chuckled, shaking my head. These guys and stealth armors...

"I can put it on for a moment, yeah," I said.

"Good. You've made us wait for too long already," Ash spoke dramatically from the next table.

"You get to see it today, don't worry," I promised, and he looked very happy about it.

I got excited as we ate a large breakfast. I really couldn't wait to get back to work, especially now that I'd be working with the best elites in the entire army. With people I actually liked and trusted. And boy, was I nervous, too...

What if I actually sucked?

That question didn't bring my mood down, though. I was just happy I finally was allowed to start training.

And about an hour later, it was finally happening. I stood next to Reid at the edge of the training fields, and we were accompanied by Captain, Nico, Daz, Rio, and Ash. The rest had their missions, but they made me promise to show them the stealth suit in the evening. Ash was actually grumpy because I'd decided to wear my green sweatpants and a matching shirt, and not the suit.