Chapter 7 : The Write back

To my Dearest (Y/N)

Things have not boded well here at home. Anne has moved in with the  family down the path, I don't think she's herself, she was raving on about how I had no business being here- in my own home! I'm sure I can wear her down, I'll be back to the castle before you know it. I miss you, this place feels estranged to me now. I just can't wait for Quiddich next year, you should try out. I'll bring my broom when I come to see you, so we can practice. I heard you're a menace on a broom, so if it comes to it, I'm beating you at anything in that field. Berrys a rather odd name, but, it surely sounds like you named her well. She's taken to eating the rest of my lunch- that could be a problem for you when you take her back home. 

ps, don't say you miss Gareth, that's like wishing yourself bad fortune

From, Sebastian. 

Dear (Y/N)

Highwing gave an egg? Merlins stars above- I can't wait to see the babe, if you can, please send me the egg shell, I'd rather like to keep it! Have you seen any of the centaurs to talk about the snidegts with? I hope they're doing well. Grans enchantments have been working well-  abit too well actually. A niffler tried to burrow under the house, but the poor thing ended up getting shot back, the darling ended up with a rather badly mangled beak. Me and gran are tending to it now. She felt so horrid for hurting the poor thing. I'll be back to Hogwarts in a month or so, for some studying and the work placement. I'd love to teach care of magical creatures some day. 

Sincerely, Poppy Sweeting

(Y/N)

What do you think you're playing at? I don't think there's any need for ink, as my blood is writing most of these words, that ruddy owl went right for me!  Here- take the rest of this cask- I swear if you tell your owl to do this again, you won't be in possession of it anymore! 

Gareth 

To my caring (Y/N)

You needn't worry about me, as it turns, it is mostly just my attending meetings with my father, about our account balance at Gringotts, apparently our vault is too small, and we needed to buy a new one for all of our gold, he has taken to setting me up my own account, with my own share. He's been rather kindly to me this year, which is out of place. My brothers however have avoided me. I miss you and Sebastian terribly, this welcome to my house was rather peculiar, it's off putting. I do wish I could hear all of you again. For here lies the true blinding darkness, in this house. I will be okay. 

Sincerely, Ominis Gaunt

I smiled down at my letters, as I began to push back my hair. Noticing how Sebastains scrawly writing seemingly slashed the paper. I laughed at Poppys insanely over the top loopy, bubbily writings, and laughed even harder at the blood blotches on Gareths. Ominis' filled my heart with concern once more, but I'd reply to them all when I got back from work. I fixed up my apron, and headed out. 

I arrived on time for my shift at the Three Broomsticks. Sirona started by showing me how to properly clean the place, how to change the barrels, and warned me to not go upstairs to those guests, and that she would be the one tending to them, and her alone. I took note. And obeyed her wishes. 

It all went swiftly, working there in the coming weeks, as I replied to everyone, but Natty never replied to my first owl. But Berry had come back with nothing in her clutches, so it was delivered somewhere. 

Those summer nights dragged, I found myself in The Three Broomsticks more than I found myself in the dorm. Minutes turned to hours, hours to days, days to weeks, yet I was still alone. Sebastian hadn't stopped by the castle at all, and his letters grew even more sparing. He would sometimes go days on end without writing, even though it was a short distance away. When out of nowhere, I had gotten a letter from Ominis, in the dead of night. 

I was awoken in the darkness, to the sound of rapping on the window. I sat up, squinting my eyes. "Lumos." I whispered to my wand, and held it aloft to see the window. It was Ominis' owl. I slunked out of bed, opening the window, as it swooped above my head, landing on the canopy bed. Dropping a letter upon the sheets. I picked it up. As I began to light the candles in the room with my wand. If this owl was staying, Ominis wanted a reply now. 

To (Y/N) (L/N)

You have been cordially invited to the Gaunt residence, on this Friday night. Attire is formal black tie, as the ball will be held in company of various members upon the highest orders of Merlin, the Wizengamot, pure blood family establishments, and family's of decent. 

This exclusive yearly event partakes in, support of our ministry, support in the school of Hogwarts Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the long term friendship between Gringotts and the Gaunt, Slytherin family. 

You have received this invitation due to your:

Blood status

Capabilities 

Popularity

Demand

Please respond in a timely manner, as slots are limited, upon entry, if attire is inappropriate, you will be denied entry, to RSVP, simply sign your name, age, status, and connections toward the Gaunt/Slytherin family at the bottom of the page, thank you. 

I froze on the spot, how was I meant to process this? I quickly pulled my quill and ink from my bedside. I looked up at the owl, but her head was neath her wing, she must have been exhausted. Ominis had sent me this, but this is rather late for him to be awake? Sending out invitations? This was odd. Blood status? I didn't even know my blood status, I just knew it wasn't muggle born. I Hovered, then quickly signed my name, my relation to the family being Ominis' acquaintance. Then my age, but what for connections? I had already written Ominis- perhaps that could be enough. I re-folded the parchment, and clicked my tongue to signal the owl, she perked her head back up, as I leaned up to tie the letter to her leg, and she went off into the night. 

But what in the stars was I to wear? 

Where was Natty?

Why wasn't Sebastian writing to me?

Everyone was being so irregular with me, the only one whom was somewhat normal was Poppy. "Nox." I muttered, as I flicked my wand once more as the candles went out. I shut the window, and went back to sleep.