Chapter 29: Be Still

I had managed to avoid Garreth for the rest of the day. I spent the rest of Sunday with my creatures. I got myself ready for breakfast Monday morning to find myself sitting back aside Ominis in the great hall. As Berry had brought me a copy of the Daily Prophet. I skimmed through it, a piece of toast in my hand as I did so. 

"Anything worth reading?" Ominis piped up. 

"Well, I saw a particular article on your brother Corvus. So his wife really isn't well?" I asked, flicking over the page, making sure Sadie Scales hadn't made up another story about me or any of the boys.

"No, I'm surprised she hasn't actually died yet. Well, I also have been meaning to tell you, but it slipped my mind. When she dies, the heads of the family are demanded to attend the funeral." His voice nonchalant. 

"Well? How do you think that will go for you then?"

"Not me- Us."

I turned my head to face him. I froze. "Wait what? I have to go?"

"Of course you do, we are to be married in the near future." Ominis scooped up some of his porridge, placing it in his mouth. Completely unaware of the blatant expression upon my face. But I attempted to calm the shock in my voice. 

"Oh yes.. Of course Ominis." 

How the fact I was supposed to be married soon enough. The thought began to creep up upon me. When another thought crossed my mind. But I would get Ominis alone later. Best to ask him then. We got up, heading for charms. As always, I sat by Ominis, whilst I caught Garreth sitting by Natty. Whilst Sebastian took to sitting with some other Ravenclaws. The class shortly ended. I wished Ominis goodbye. Ominis took Arithmancy, and I in turn took Divination. 

I made my way up the ladder, the waft of perfumes and scents burrowed into my nose. Candles lit around the class. I was the first one here. I sat myself down, taking out my notes. Whilst Professor Onai welcomed me. Soon, the rest of the class filed in, as Natty sat by my side. She smiled. I noticed Garreth sitting across the class from me, not even catching to my eye. 

Was he avoiding me as much as I was avoiding him? 

It was possible, but it vexed me. 

Natty was still over the moon about making seeker, as we were all told to make our teas and drink over them. I laughed with her about Hector not making the team. Eventually, we drank our tea down, as we passed each other our cups for a separate assessment. I took Nattys cup in my hand, as I inspected the tealeaves at the bottom. 

"Well Nat, how does it look for me then?" I teased her, but her face was puzzled. I looked down at her cup in my hand, as I read over the textbook. Natty had the sun at the bottom of her cup, which meant that she was going to have success come her way. "Well, you have the sun so- all is well for you." I smiled up at her, but her face was blank upon my cup. "Nat? Natty?" I called her. But her face shot up. 

"Oh? Sorry- Mu- I mean- Professor? Can you have a look at (Y/Ns) tea? I don't think I quite-"

Not long after Natty spoke, her mother came bustling over. She gave a small smile. "My dear girl, you're telling me you don't understand? I've been teaching you to read your leaves since you were little I-" Whilst Professor Onai spoke, she had taken my cup from Natty, looking into it. She froze. Her eyes darted to me, back down the cup, then to Natty. There was a strange silence growing. 

"Is there something wrong with it?" I asked. I wasn't scared, but I knew divination wasn't always accurate, I knew that sometimes it was trial and error. But at the look upon their faces, told me otherwise.