Chapter 17 : Nothing

Four days had passed, and I hadn't seen or heard from Sebastian Sallow. 

Once more, I had delved in studies, creatures and work. The first week of August had come and gone. One early morning, I had awoke, already in a routine of my own. I was accustomed to my lonesome. I had begun sleeping in quiddich shorts, which had lost their elasticity, making them loose and comfortable. They weren't able to conceal the bruises Sebastian had given me, from grabbing my thighs so hard, not like anyone would see. I wore a loose undershirt. It was too warm to be sleeping these summer nights in my regular pyjamas. 

I yawned, walking down the stairs toward the common room. I rubbed my eyes. Opening them, Garreth was there. Most likely my imagination, I had just awoken after all. Yawning again, I sat down at the table, beginning to rummage and butter the toast. Putting a slice in my mouth, I picked up a spoon and honey to make something to drink. Holding the toast with my teeth, I munched it slow enough that it wouldn't fall. 

"Don't I get a hello?" A voice spoke. I jolted. It was Garreth. I had almost choked on the toast, I coughed. It hurdled to a large pot of porridge. I thumped my chest, I had dropped the spoon, and the honey, luckily, nothing had spilled or broken. 

"Gareth?" I choked out. "What are you doing here?"

"I told you I was coming, then you just walk right past me!" He smiled, hands upon his hips, but he didn't seem to want to meet my eyes. I then looked down at the table, then at my thighs. 

OH- 

"Uh, I'll be back." I fumbled, running back up the stairs, I rummaged through my clothes, finding a skirt, and a button down with short sleeves. I pulled on a pair of shoes and socks, tying them. Fixing my hair, brushing my teeth, I headed back down. I saw Garreth at the table, making himself some honeyed porridge, he didn't seem to mind that there was a piece of toast stewing in it. I smiled at his carelessness. 

I sat by him, a bit nerved, but calmer, because now he could look at me. 

"I could have been my aunt, or even headmaster Black, and you prance around here in- your previous attire?" He stifled a laugh. 

"Well- I've been waking up alone for like, two months, you do get into your own habits over time." I protested, but he just smiled. 

"Happened' to your legs though? Seem scuffed up." He spoke with a mouthful of honey. 

"I- fell." I spoke in a broken tone- an obvious lie. 

"You- uh- fell?" Garreth mimicked my speech. "You have to know, I'm not buying it, really I'm not." He smirked. "What? You fall into a mountain side?"

"Yeah, something like that." I poked at my food with a fork, opting to change the subject. "Have you gotten your books and robes- all that I mean?" 

"No, not yet, I need to get on the ball with that. Not going to Hogsmeade though. Diagon Alley has it all. Have you?" He leaned over, pouring milk to his cup. I shook my head. 

"Haven't got the chance, what's die gone alley?" I wandered. I continued eating, but Garreth had gone silent. I looked up at him, he was frozen. "What?"

"Finish your breakfast, then we're heading there within the hour. Bring your letters the school sent you." Garreth began shovelling food into his mouth. 

"Are you staying here for the rest of the summer?" I asked, keeping pace with my own food. I noticed his trunks by the fireplace. 

We finished breakfast, as I went back upstairs to fix myself up again, grabbing a bag of floo powder, I hadn't got much left at this point. Then grabbing my bag of coins, alongside my letters. Thinking for a moment, I siezed my trunk, which was now rummaged and out of place. A large sack lay at the bottom, it was filled with coin. I attempted picking it up, no use, it weighed more than anything, pulling my wand, I muttered- "Reducio." I then picked up the small sack, placing it to my pocket. I stepped back into the common room, smiling at him as he faced me.