Chapter 28 : Making The Team

It was Sunday morning. I hadn't seen the boys since yesterday. I didn't even see Garreth in the common room when I was playing chess with Natty. I didn't even see him at dinner. I pulled on some comfortable clothes, just a jumper and some cosy trousers. Pulling on my shoes, brushing my teeth and hair. I stretched as I walked down the stairs from the dorm. I spotted an array of students crowding around the notice board. Eventually. I had pushed my way through. Spying what they were looking at. The Quidditch teams picks. 

It read,

Captain/ Keeper: Garreth Weasley

Beaters : Lucan Brattleby, Claire Bellows

Lead Chaser: (Y/N) (L/N)

Chasers: Eric Northcott, Leander Prewett

Seeker: Natsai Onai

My eyes widened, my jaw dropped. Natty made seeker. Where was she? I couldn't remember if she was in bed or not. But I realised that I hadn't taken the time to ever look at the notice board, since it had been empty all summer. It showed an array of clubs, along with a list of all the prefects, and the names of the head boy and head girl. I was such an idiot for not looking around my own common room. I went looking for Natty, but I couldn't find her. I checked the dorms and everything. But she must have made her bed and left. I was sure I'd find her later. 

I received my congratulations for making the team. Lucan Brattleby seemed to be brimming with tears, he went around hugging everyone. The girl Claire Bellows was just sitting in front of a window in a stunned silence. Whilst Leander decided to take bragging rights, whilst Eric Northcott took to teasing Hector for not making the team. I couldn't seem to find Garreth either. 

Despite the congratulations, and the rejoice in the Gryffindor common room at the return of Quidditch, I had been getting strange looks all morning. I tried not to think about it. Had they heard that Garreth probably only picked me as lead chaser purely from favouritism? I made my way down to breakfast. Even then I was still getting strange looks. I walked into the great hall. To find Ominis and Garreth sitting across from one another. Ominis was having some porridge with honey, whilst Garreth had a scone as he read over the Daily Prophet. 

"Oi! Weaselbee! I have a bone to pick with you!" I shouted, marching my way over, as I sat beside Ominis, our knees touching, I glared at Garreth. He didn't even look up to me. 

"What is it? Wished I made you seeker or-" But just as he looked up, he froze. His jaw dropping slightly. 

"No it's actually about you dodging all of those throws I made yesterday- why are you looking at me like that? Is there something on my face?" I wandered, wiping my face. But Garreth just shook his head. "Then what?"

"Your- your neck." He blurted out. "What happened to it?" 

I brushed my hand over my neck. Feeling nothing, I gave him a weird look. "Nothing what do you mean?"

"It's- bruised."

At those words, Ominis' spoon dropped on the table with a clunk. He nervously cleared his throat, as a blush dusted his face. Garreth connected the dots, his eyes darting between us. He gave a small smirk. 

"Ooo you two getting busy in the dead of night or what?" He teased. But he said it too loud for my liking. 

"Oh my god will you- shut up." I snapped in a whisper. "It's not obvious or anything is it?" I attempted pulling the neck of my jumper, to hide it. But Garreth just laughed as I did. 

"(Y/N)- it's raw red. Almost purple- Merlin Ominis did you try to eat her? Oh and there's no point in trying to cover it, the way it is, you'd need to go to the hospital wing to cover that up." Garreth put his paper down now, as he took another bite of his scone.