Chapter 11: The House of Gaunt

Ominis had led me up the stairs to where his father was, but his father wasn't there. We made our way through those same dark halls that I arrived, he had let go of my waist and hand, and now had our arms locked as we walked. 

"So, why do we have to go meet with these senior guests?"

"It's a formality really, they'll try to spook you and what not, only the truly esteemed guests of my father meet there, and- as my dance partner, you meet the criteria. Many people will be there, they're all very capable witches and wizards, but I think my father has had his eye on you for quite some time now, he had me sprung when I found out he had given you a invitation, let alone a dance card." Ominis explained. My eyes lingered upon him. 

"Why does it surprise you?"

"My father doesn't do well with people he hasn't already met, let alone a woman, or even a Gryffindor at that. His perspectives, not mine. Usually, Hogwarts students never get invited to this. I almost wet myself when I had seen Sebastian in the corner of the room. Garreth is an exception though, his family have yet to fail to impress my father. The Weasleys are kinder souls yes, but not ones to be tampered with, so they put on this cease-firing charade. Yet never do favours for one another."

"Why do you think your father invited Sebastian?"

"Truth be told, if I had to guess... I think he knew Soloman. Perhaps the reason why Soloman dismissed himself from the ministry, I'm thinking he just wants to make a good decision on Sebastian."

"Really? Like what?"

"Whether if he's like his parents, or his uncle. I also have reason to believe my father has somehow heard of how Soloman... Died." Ominis' words were getting even more uneasy now, as we were now in the front hall, we turned a corner, as we walked up another set of stairs.  I let a small gasp escape my lips. 

"No- he couldn't- how could he-?"

"Another guess, is because of his now deal with the goblins, they've provided my father an I with a significant amount of money, and in exchange, we gave them information. I think my father is trying to sweeten Headmaster Black into giving him the sword of Godric Gryffindor, it is goblin made, and something they have been seeking for hundreds of years now."

"Do you think Black will give in?"

"I daresay he won't. His predecessors would have him done in, in his sleep. But he should have more reason to fear my father more than anyone else." I watched Ominis flex his jaw, in which what I assumed to be nerves. 

"How come you went missing at your own party then? Not like the socializing then?"

"No, it's not that, I quite like it actually, it's just- this year is different.." Ominis' voice began to ponder, as what Garreth said came to mind. 

"Oh- yes, Garreth told me about that..."

"He what?" Ominis' snapped, turning his head in my direction, "That utter fool has no reason to go on spouting my business- listen, I didn't intend on telling you at all, because it wouldn't go any further than tonight. But the moment I heard you enter, I knew my father desired you."

"Wait- desired?"

"Yes, he knows you're a powerful witch, I'm sure you know his love for power. I was actually meant to be dancing with Headmaster Blacks second cousin or something tonight. But I turned her away. Because she's also second cousin, on a different side through marriage though. Surely you're aware of the pureblood relations." Ominis gave a small laugh at the end of his words. 

"What ever do you mean relations?" I wandered. 

"Please, tell me you jest." He pleaded, as I could see a set of double doors, which were illuminated, and a small hush of chat could be heard.