xxxiv. BIRD GOT YOUR TONGUE?

ACT TWO

ACT TWO. fish out of water.
CHAPTER xxxiv. ❛ BIRD GOT YOUR TONGUE? ❜

 ❛ BIRD GOT YOUR TONGUE? ❜

allura's chambers,
palace of elfhame.

       THAT AFTERNOON, WHEN ALLURA RISES, Cardan Greenbriar is still fast asleep. She was alarmed, at first, to see him so vulnerable. His head was resting against a pillow, his dark hair spilling over it. She could see his lashes were so long they brushed against his cheek when he rested. He reminded her a little of a cherub with his mouth so soft and his lips slightly parted. A demon inside an angel's body ━━━━━━ a curse with a gift of celestial beauty. Allura cannot stop staring at him. Even when his arm comes up around her waist. For a few blissful moments, she allows him to embrace her. It is strange, she thinks, to feel him yearn. She wonders if when he wakes, he'll still reach out to her in the dark.

TAP! TAP! TAP!

Allura sits up.

TAP! TAP! TAP!

     She slips out of bed and back into her robes before running over to the window. Throwing open the curtains, she sees a taupe owl had perched onto her lianas. The vines had gotten so out of control now that they festered along the Palace walls, the thick tendrils running all the way back to her sleeping rooms. She nearly stumbled over them on her journey over, but when she got there, the owl cocked its head.