xli. WHAT'S THAT COMING OVER THE HILL, IS IT A MONSTER?

ACT TWO

ACT TWO. fish out of water.
CHAPTER xli. ❛ WHAT'S THAT COMING OVER THE HILL, IS IT A MONSTER? ❜

 ❛ WHAT'S THAT COMING OVER THE HILL, IS IT A MONSTER? ❜

hunter's moon revel,
milkwood.

THE HUNTER'S MOON REVEL TAKES PLACE AMONG the trees, a perfect grove inside the Milkwood.

There are woven webs around the woodland that appear to Allura as nothing more than the egg sacks of moths or the cocoons of spider prey. Towering over the thick of the coppice is a throne made up of smooth flat stones. Cardan sits there, overlooking the festivities, with a crown that gleams at his brow. He looks extraordinarily regal in a silk black cape, his doublet beneath with his sleeves rolled up. When Allura arrives, she spots him through the bonfire ━━━━━━ the flames dancing around him like more of his subjects. The scent of burnt yarrow carries through the forest, delighting the guests who are delirous from what her spies suspect is Entoloma mushrooms.

A gift from the Master of Revels.

      Allura is fastened into a soft brown dress, woven with pretty golden thread. Between the folds in her skirt are floral patterns: all made up of pale blues, lilacs and greens. There is moss that blossoms across her waist and wrists, wrapping around like cuffs. Her gown was fitted in a way that accentuates her hips and breasts ━━━━━━ a figure that's rare to see in Faerie. Around her head is a hand-made crown, matching the High King's, made from twigs and laurel to fix a halo of evergreen. Coiled around her antler is a golden charm, the other stump left bare. Upon a sheath at her thigh is the knife Dain gifted her, made from the blood and bone she sacrificed for his love.