•To a fresh start.

III. To a fresh start.

Two days later, Maude was called into Tommy's office once again, and the men in the shop started growing suspicious of the pair and their constant private meetings in Tommy's office. When Maude came into the shop that morning, Tommy's eyes were immediately caught on her. She wore a black dress with a red belt and red collar, with matching red heels. Her makeup was natural and light, her hair neatly curled and pinned to her head.

She was busy with a few of the shops' books when Tommy stepped out of his office and called out to her. "Maude, come in here for a second." He called as he beckoned her to him with a wave of his hand before entering his office again.

She got up from her chair, abandoning her work as she made her way into Tommy's office. He waited for her behind his desk, hands clasped together on the table as his eyes followed her, watching as she entered his office, closing the door before turning to him "Yes, Tommy." She muttered, staying standing by his door.

"Have you met the barmaid at the Garrison?"He asked as he raised his eyebrows at her, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it with a match, taking a long drag before offering it to her.

"The new one?" She asked as she sat down in front of his desk, taking the cigarette from him and placing it between her lips. Tommy nodded as he pulled out another cigarette. "Yes, her name is Grace." She muttered as she took a drag of the cigarette.

"I need you to do me a favor, without the knowledge of your brothers." He informed her as he blew out a puff of smoke into the air before his tongue darting his tongue out to wet his lips. Maude's eyes followed his movement, her cheeks growing a soft tint of red as her face heated up.

She softly cleared her throat as she diverted her gaze down to the cigarette between her fingers. "What is the favor?" She asked softly as her gaze flicked back up to him, staring at him through her thick lashes.

He silently stared at her for a second as he debated getting her even more involved in his business, in the Peaky Blinders. He sighs, ashing his cigarette before speaking up."I need you to befriend Grace, find out anything you can about her." He instructed.

Maude's eyebrows furrowed and she tilted her head to the side, the cigarette loosely hanging over the ashtray that sat between her and Tommy. "May I ask why?" She questioned.

"Because I don't trust her and I want to know what she's doing in my city." He explained before taking another drag of his cigarette, his eyes drifting towards the men in the shop. Some of his most trusted men were out there, even his brothers. But he didn't trust to share his suspicion of the barmaid with any of them. No, instead he was sharing them with the girl he's barely known for a week.

"Why not ask her yourself?" She asked as she quirked an eyebrow at Tommy.

"Because I don't think she trusts me either." He muttered with a shake of his head, clearing his throat before turning back to Maude.

"Is this Peaky Blinder related?" She asked as both her eyebrows shot up with question.

"I'm not sure yet." He admitted softly as he stubbed out his cigarette. "All you have to do is gather information from her." He explained.

Maude was silent for a second, her gaze diverting from Tommy. Her eyes skimmed across the room, getting caught on the whiskey tray in the corner. Amongst the four crystal whiskey glasses, was one glass with a faint lipstick mark on it. Her lipstick mark. Her gaze flicked back to Tommy, and she had to fight against the smile that desperately wanted to tug at her lips."I can do that." She nodded.