•The Cheltenham races.

VIII. The Cheltenham races.

Maude was up early to get ready. She cleaned herself, scrubbing until her hair and skin were clean and smelled like nothing but flower-scented soaps and hair wash. Her hair was neatly curled and a ruby pin was placed on the left side of her head. She dresses in her red silk dress with a pair of red heels to match. Then she began putting on her jewelry, her picked-out earnings, and bracelets.

She had just finished her makeup when Thomas Shelby knocked on the front door of the house. Maude felt her stomach flutter, a giddy smile on her face as she made her way downstairs to open for Tommy. "Morning, Tommy." She greeted him as she opened the door and allowed him to step inside.

"Morning, Maude." He greeted back, giving her a gentle smile as he observed her. "You look beautiful." He complimented as he shoved his hands deep into his pockets, continuing to observe her. "Told you to go with the red."

"And I never doubted your expert judgment." She teased as her smile grew and she grabbed her purse from the table next to the front door, pulling out a tube of dark red lipstick. "So what will happen today?" She asked before making her way over to the mirror above one of the side tables in the living room.

"You and I will only talk with Kimber, the boys will do all the rest." He explained, watching her intensely as she carefully applied another layer of lipstick to her soft and plush lips.

She finished applying her lipstick, making a 'pop' sound with her lips before turning to Tommy as she threw her stylistic back into her purse. "Sound simple enough." She said as she slowly nodded her head.

"Hopefully it will be." He replied as he nodded his head as well, holding his arm out for her to take. She hooked her arm into his and together the two stepped out into the early morning of the quiet street. "Maybe we can even have a dance or two."

"I was promised a dance, so I better get one." She demanded with a playful hint to her voice as Tommy lead her towards his family car, and she looked up at him with a pointed look that was filled with teasing.

"Yes mam." He agreed with a nod of his head as he grinned softly down at her.

"And I better get a whiskey as well." She demanded as she pointed a finger towards Tommy as they came to a stop by the car.

"Of course, sweetheart." He agreed, and the name of endearing name send a flutter through Maude's heart as Tommy opened the door for her, taking her hand as he helped her climb into the car before shutting the door behind her.

It was a long drive to the Cheltenham races, but the car was filled with light chatter and a few laughs here and there. The laughter was mostly from Maude, but Tommy did offer her a few smiles when he found her amusing or every time his heart had a little flutter when she looked at him with her beautiful blue eyes.

Upon arriving at the races, Tommy placed a hand on the small of Maude's back and lead her through a back door and a series of hallways, assuring her they were allowed to go through the back way. She was concerned as she only saw staff and VIPs walking the halls.

"Are you sure we're allowed in here?" She asked as she glanced up at Tommy with furrowed eyebrows.

Tommy looked down at her for a brief second before nodding his head. "Well, I prefer to come to the races the back way." He explained as he lead her down another hallway. "Keeps me out of trouble." He added, grinning when Maude scoffed in amusement. "Tracks are lawless places. Can't stand petty criminals." He said before leading her through a door and down another hallway. " This way."