•Mr. Thomas Shelby.

XXVII. Mr. Thomas Shelby.

Reluctantly Polly had agreed to send Michael with to buy the horse from the actuation, but only if Maude agreed to keep an eye on him. Wanting to help Polly and protect Michael, Maude agreed that she'd keep an eye on him, and make sure he'd be return home safely again.

When the truck stopped in front of their house in Watery Lane, Maude followed Tommy out, coat wrapped around her shoulders and purse in her hand. The men waited for them, standing around the truck as they waited on orders from Tommy.

Daniel leaned against the hood of the truck, smoking a cigarette. His gaze landed on his sister and he quirked an eyebrow ."So you're coming with us today, ey?" He asked her, knowing she wasn't fond of their idea to buy a horse, and would rather have stayed home.

Maude hummed as she nodded her head, wrapping her arms around herself. "Polly wants someone to keep an eye on you lot." She informed them as her eyes drifted over all the men who let out low grunts and groans.

"We don't need a bloody babysitter." John huffed with pouted lips as he chewed on a toothpick, eyebrows tightly furrowed.

"Polly thinks you do." She replied as her gaze landed on John, giving him a tight-lipped smile as he rolled his eyes in response, light banter that have grown accustomed between the two. "Besides, today I'm responsible for Michael." She said before her gaze drifted over them again. "So none of you better fuck up!" She warned as she waved her finger over them.

"Yes, boss," John replied as he gave her a mocking salute, and as she passed him, she knocked his peaked cap right off his head, making him grumble as a few of the other men chuckled at him.

While all the men got in the back of the truck, Maude got the honor of riding up front with Tommy. Their last stop was picking up Michael, and after receiving an ear full from Polly for honking the horn in a respectful neighborhood, they set off to the actuation.

After an hour on the road, smoke started coming out of the truck's engine. Tommy pulled out onto the side of the road and stopped before climbing out of the truck. He turned back to face Maude, holding out his hand to her. She slid across the seat, taking the hand Tommy offered her before carefully climbing out.

Tommy rounded the truck and Maude followed after him. "She's heating up, Curly. Take a look." Tommy ordered as he opened up the back of the truck, nodding his head at Curly as he pulled his cigarettes and matches from his coat pocket, handing them to Maude.

"Yeah," Curly replied as he vigorously nodded his head, getting up from his seat between Henry and Arthur and getting out of the truck to check the engine.

"Let me out for a piss." Charlie insisted as he climbed out of the truck and Maude pulled a face of disgust as she looked at him before glancing at the bushes that surrounded them.

She pulled out a cigarette for herself and lit it before handing both boxes back to Tommy who got himself a cigarette as well. Her attention turned to Michael who pulled a wrapped cloth out of his bag, putting it down beside him and unfolding sandwiches. "She made loads. Do you want one?" Michael asked when he noticed Maude's eyes on him.

"What the bloody hell's that?" Arthur asked with furrowed eyebrows as he nodded at the sandwiches.

"Sandwiches. Ham, I think. And we've got shrimp paste, too. There's tea, but we'll have to take turns 'cause there's only one cup." Michael informed them as Arthur and John shared an amused look with each other and Daniel grabbed the flask of tea, curiously inspecting it. "What?" Michael questioned the three men.

"Sandwiches?" Arthur repeated as a grin spread onto his lips and he looked over at his younger brother again.

"Yeah," Michael confirmed with a nod of his head as he continued to look between them in confusion.