•Trust.

V. Trust.

The following morning, Tommy came looking for her in the betting shop, ignoring all the stares of his men as he approached her table. "Maude, grab your purse and coat, you're coming with me." He instructed her.

She looked up at him with wide and curious eyes before getting up to her feet, grabbing her purse and coat without question. A few eyes followed the pair as they left the shop Tommy's hand pressed to Maude's lower back as he guided her.

"Where are we going?" She asked him as she shrugged her thick white fur coat on, eyeing the people who scattered out of their way as Tommy lead her towards his family's car.

"I bought a new horse, you said you like horses, so I'm taking you with me to see him." He explained as he opened the passenger door, gently taking hold of the tips of her fingers as he helped her into the car before closing the door behind her and getting into the driver's seat.

"You bought another horse?" She asked as she turned her body to face Tommy, quirking an eyebrow at him as he hummed in response while starting up the car. "Will he race as well?" She asked.

"When he is ready." He confirmed with a nod of his head, keeping one hand on the steering wheel as he pulled out his cigarettes and matches, handing them to Maude.

"Where do you keep them?" She asked curiously as she pulled out a cigarette and handed it over to him. He placed t between his lips and Maude stared for a second before lighting his cigarette for him. She pulled out a cigarette for herself as well, lighting it before handing it back to Tommy.

"My uncle's yard." He replied as he took a long drag of his cigarette, exhaling the smoke slowly. "Until I can buy them their own home one day." He said.

Maude smiled at the sentiment. It sounded sweet coming from Tommy, wanting to buy his horses their own home one day. She took a few silent drags of her cigarette before turning to Tommy with furrowed eyebrows. "Why take me with you?" She asked curiously, her voice ever so soft and gentle.

"You said you like horses."He replied as he glanced over at her, observing her side profile for a split second before turning his attention back to the road, Charlie Strong's yard coming into view.

"Still." She muttered softly as she stared ahead at the yard that stood in front of them.

"We should talk about the Cheltenham races," Tommy informed her as he cleared his throat, not shy about blatantly changing the subject. He couldn't tell her why he was bringing her with him, because a part of himself wasn't entirely sure either. All he knew is he wanted her close all the time, and he didn't know how he'd ever tell her that. "I want you to come with me to talk to the man I plan on doing business with." He said.

Maude's eyebrows furrowed as she looked over at Tommy. "Why me?" She asked softly as her head tilted to the side.

"You are an educated young woman who is good with numbers and words." He explained as he drove closer t the yard, and the gates were pulled open for him, the men curiously eyeing Tommy and the woman sitting next to him. Charlie Strong was among the men, and he could not remember a time after the war when his nephew stepped out with a woman. Tommy glanced at Maude. "You'll make me look more professional." He insisted.

She looked at him with a quirked eyebrow and a small smile playing on her lips, showing that her words meant no harm. "If you want a professional business, you shouldn't cut people." She replied, with a hint of teasing in her voice.

"Bad men can still be professional." He insisted as he looked at her with a crooked grin tugging at his lips.

"When will you tell me who this man is we'll meet at the Cheltenham races?" She asked as the car came to a dead stop, and she flicked the stub of her cigarette out onto the muddy ground.