•Won't break.

XXXIX. Won't break.

It was at least nearly a week after Maude woke up, that Tommy had begun to allow the family to visit her, and everyone had respected the boundaries even if they all wanted to see Maude so badly. First to visit were Maude's brothers, both of them anxious to see their sister.

She offered both of them a small smile as they entered the room after Tommy had stepped out to give them a little more privacy. Tommy barely left her room and he helped her with everything, even walking her to and from the bathroom.

"How are you feeling?" Henry asked, setting a bouquet of roses in a vase on her bedside table before taking a seat next to the bed, reaching out to hold her hand.

"Like shit." She muttered softly as she gave his hand a weak squeeze, her smile still lingering on her lips as she looked between her brothers.

"Yeah, you look it too." Daniel teased her with a smile as he sat down on the opposite side of her. Even though he was teasing and smiling, Maude could see the emotions of seeing both his wife and sister in the hospital, weighed heavy on him.

"Yeah, I got shot, what's your excuse?" She teased back as she quirked an eyebrow and he scoffed in amusement. She smiled softly and after a second of silence, she spoke up again. "How's Anna?" She asked him.

"She's doing good." He replied with a nod of his head as he took a deep breath, pursing his lips. "Doctors say she can leave as early as tomorrow." He added, his eyes glancing between Maude and Henry.

"What about you, what do the doctors say?"Henry asked as he looked at his sister, leaning forward with his elbows resting on his thighs, hands clasped together.

"If all goes well, I can leave in two maybe three weeks." She informed the softly, clearing her throat as she looked for the glass of water Tommy kept full on her bedside table. Henry grabbed the glass for her, helping his sister take a few sips.

"Can't fucking believe this happened." Daniel huffed softly, shaking his head as he stared at his sister with furrowed eyebrows.

"Everyone involved will pay," Henry assured as he set the glass back on on the bedside table, turning to his brother with a firm look settled in his dark eyes.

"Only one man is responsible for this," Daniel replied, a muscle in his jaw growing tense as he looked at Henry, taking a deep breath before venomously spitting out a name. "Mr. Changretta."

Henry was silent for a second as he nodded in agreement before turning towards his sister. "Why would he target you and Anna?" He asked softly as his eyebrows furrowed.

"The bullet hitting her was an accident," Maude whispered as her gaze slowly drifted towards Daniel, her lips tugging into a frown and her eyebrows knitting together. "It was meant for me." She insisted as she slowly shook her head, letting out a shaky sigh. "I was holding the meeting when John made the threats, so I guess they decided I had to pay." She explained softly.

Henry and Daniel were silent for a second and when Tommy stepped into the room they both got up to their feet, saying their goodbyes to their sister. "Get some rest," Henry told her with a gentle hand on her shoulder. "We'll be back later." He assured as he gave her shoulder a squeeze before following Daniel out of the room.

Later that day, after Tommy had left to go check on Charlie, Polly, Lizzie, and Esme came to visit Maude, only minutes after John and Arthur had left, leaving behind flowers and gifts for Maude. Maude smiled when the door opened and the woman stepped inside.

"We've brought flowers," Esme called out as she held up a bouquet of daffodils to show Maude, before laying them with the rest of the flowers Maude had received.