•Now you've seen me.

XIII. Now you've seen me.

On a cold and dark night, only a day after they shared their first kiss, and many more fleeting kisses after the first, Tommy found himself doing the one thing he promised he'd never do with Maude. He turned to her for help with dangerous business. It wasn't his plan, he didn't want to involve her, but he had no choice. He cursed his family for making him do this, forcing his hand to put Maude in danger because they simply refused to believe him.

Maude was surprised and confused to see Tommy at her front door so late at night, catching her right before her bath. Before she could get a word out, Tommy rushed into the house, eyes darting around, hoping to see Henry or Daniel. "Maude, are your brothers home?" He asked her, his last hope of not involving her.

She looked at Tommy, eyebrows furrowing as she shook her head. "No, why?" She asked as she crossed her arms over her chest.

Tommy swore under his breath, closing his eyes for a brief second before turning to Maude, taking her face in his hands as he looked deeply into her eyes. "I need your help with something." He informed her, pressing a kiss to her forehead before pulling away from her, and grabbing one of her fur coats on the coat rack next to the door. "I need you to come to the Garrison with me." He informed her as he helped her shrug the coat on before taking her hand and leading her out of the house."

"Why, what's going on Tommy?" She asked, barely having enough time to close the front door behind her as she tried to keep up with Tommy's long strides.

"When the St Andrews' bell strikes midnight, two IRA men are going to come into the pub." He explained as he took a deep breath, keeping her close to his side as they hurried down the dark and quiet street. "They think I am selling them the guns." He added and Maude's raised her eyebrows as she looked up at him. "When they have what they want, they plan to kill me." He muttered. A gasp slipped from Maude as her steps halted, her eyes wide and with the dim street lights, Tommy caught a glimpse of the fear inside her eyes. "It's your job to stop that happening." He said as he turned to her with an apologetic look in his eyes.

Maude stared at him, her eyebrows slowly furrowing as he began dragging her along again. "Could have given me some more warning." She muttered softly as she looked up at him.

"I just got the message myself." He informed her, giving her hand a soft squeeze s they turned onto Garrison Lane. " They want to meet here, alone." He told her as he nodded his head in the direction of the pub that stood before them.

Maude stopped in front of the pub doors, looking at Tommy with raised eyebrows as her head tilted to the side. "And what, your adviser doesn't count?" She asked.

"No, my advisers don't count." He confirmed with a shake of his head before pushing the doors open and letting Maude step inside before following after her. Grace was stood behind the bar, cleaning the glasses. She turned towards the two with surprise on her face as she set the glass and cloth in her hands down. Tommy pointed a finger at her. "You, get out." He insisted before jabbing his thumb in the direction of the doors behind him and Maude.

"Mr. Shelby," Grace muttered as her eyebrows furrowed, glancing between Tommy and Maude in confusion.

"Go, leave," Tommy demanded as he pointed towards the door, and Grace hurried to grab her things before making her way out from behind the bar. "We will lock up." He told her as she left the pub, shooting them both one last look before leaving the pub.

Maude turned to Tommy as he locked every other door leading into the pub, leaving only the front doors open. "What exactly is your plan here, Tommy?" She asked, watching as he pulled three chairs around one of the tables.