•Hand grenade.

IX. Hand grenade.

The betting shop was nearly empty, rarely any of the Peaky men around since the Lee boys began attacking them ever since the fair. And the Peaky men who weren't sleeping off their beatings, were spread thin between Charlie's yard, the Garrison, and the shop. Tommy had them posted everywhere to protect all valuables from the Lee's.

Maude however, was spared from any contact with the Lee's, but not from continuing to work. Her workload only increased as she started taking the bets to help out Scudboat who was the only one in the shop on one extremely cold Monday morning. John was supposed to help them but he had left for the Garrison early in the morning.

"Last bets, now," Maude called out to the men that queued in front of her table, her gaze landing on the little boy standing in front of her with a few shillings in his hand. She smiled down at him. "Now, don't go spending all your rent money, Charlie." She lightly scolded him as she took the money and wrote it down before turning back to the long line of men in front of her. "That's your starters, gentleman. No more bets."

A young blond man rushed up to her table as the rest of the men left, all except the blond noticing Tommy standing by the door separating the shop from the Shelby house, smoking a cigarette as he watched Maude. "I was there on time." He argued with her as he slammed his hand down on the table.

"Finished." She told him as she closed the cash box, shaking her head at him.

"I've had a tip-off. I need this bet." He pleaded with her, desperation on his face as he stared at her, unaware of Tommy's gaze coldly burning into him.

Maude glanced at the watch on the wall before turning back to the boy, shaking her at him. "The race has started..." She explained as she closed her book and handed it over to Scudboat who watched the interaction, knowing by now that Maude could handle herself, but also ready to jump in when needed.

"Please. No!" The boy begged one last time, groaning when Maude firmly shook her head at him. "Ugh. Fine." He snapped as he reached out and knocked over her cash box, sending the money flying onto the ground.

"Get rid of him," Maude ordered Scudboat as she nodded at the blonde boy.

Scudboat grabbed the boy by the scruff of his shirt, dragging him out of the shop and throwing him to the curb, yelling at him to never return to the shop unless he wanted to deal with Maude's brothers. As Maude bent down and began picking up the money, Tommy approached her, helping pick up the money, eyeing Maude with furrowed eyebrows. "Since when do you take bets?" He asked as his eyebrows shot up.

"Since half of the men aren't here."She replied as she showed a hand at the empty shop, only her and Scudboat being there for the day. "The Lee boys have been relentless." She insisted with a bitter huff as her eyebrows furrowed.

Tommy grunted in agreement. "Which is why I don't want you alone in the shop, where are your brothers?" He asked as he picked up the cash box and placed it on her table, offering a hand and helping her back onto her feet.

"Daniel is home, sleeping off his beating and Henry is out patrolling the Garrison." She informed him as another huff left her pink-painted lips and she sat down on the closest chair and began neatly stacking the money for counting.

"Where's John?" Tommy asked as he glanced over at his brother's office, who had very clearly been told to be at the shop today.

"John's in The Garrison." She informed Tommy as she looked up at him, pursing her lips. "Says he wants a meeting about a family matter." She explained.