•Business is done.

XXXII. Business is done.

When they arrived, Maude and Tommy separated from the rest, going into the beer tent where they found the Field Marshall, Russel, who Tommy was meant to kill. The two sat at one of the tables, subtly watching Russel who drank with a few of his buddies.

Maude sighed as she turned to Tommy. "How will you get him alone?" She asked as she raised her eyebrows and tilted her head to the side.

Tommy stared at Russel as he shook his head at Maude. "I'll wait until he wanders from his friends." He insisted as his gaze turned towards her.

"We can't wait, Tommy." She replied as she shook her head before glancing over at Russel, finding him and a few of his friends glancing at her as they whispered among each other. Something clicked in her head as she slowly turned to Tommy. "I have a plan I don't think you will like." She muttered softly.

Tommy silently stared at her for a second as he rested his elbow on the table, tugging his fist beneath his chin. "I'm not involving you in this," he demanded with a firm shake of his head.

"I am already involved, Tommy." Maude reminded him with a firm voice. "I can get him somewhere private." She insisted as she tapped her finger against the table.

"No." He denied firmly as he shook his head, giving her a pointed look. "Fucking no." He repeated as he pointed a finger of warning at her, not wanting her to push this any further. But of course, she did. She always did because she knew she always got her way when it came to Tommy.

"You'll be waiting for us already, so nothing will happen." She assured him as she shook her head, grabbing onto his finger that still pointed at her and forcing his hand down.

"I'm not using you as fucking bait." He refused with a shake of his head, inhaling sharply as he looked at her, hating even the mere suggestion of deliberately putting her in harm's way. Because Tommy saw how Russel and his friends looked at her. And he knew what men with those filthy looks wanted.

"What if he doesn't leave before 3:00?" She asked as she raised her eyebrows at him.

"Maude..." He muttered through gritted teeth as he firmly shook his head at her.

"I will only lure him to somewhere secluded." She explained to him. "Somewhere, where you're already waiting." She added as she pointed towards Tommy. "The bathrooms near the stables will be empty now after the race has started." She said and Tommy inhaled sharply. "You go ahead, make sure it's clear. Give me fifteen minutes." She instructed him firmly.

Tommy sighed in defeat, knowing Maude's mind was made up. Whether he agreed or not, she would do what she wanted. And if she went off on her own, she'd get hurt. And Tommy would never forgive himself for it. "I'm sending John in to keep an eye on you." He demanded as he pointed a finger at her.

"Alright." She agreed with a nod of her head.

"If he tries anything-" Tommy muttered as he grabbed Maude's purse, holding it out of sight as he slipped a gun into it. "You shoot the fucker." he ordered her before putting her purse down on the table.

Maude nodded in agreement as Tommy got up and reluctantly left the tent. Five minutes later John slipped in, keeping his eyes on Maude as she got up and approached the bar, smiling sweetly when her gaze met Russel's. She stood next to him at the bar as she ordered a whiskey, leaning in a way that pushed both her but and her breast out.

It didn't take the drunk man long to strike up a conversation with her, and she only smiled as he flirted with her. After ten minutes of letting him take charge and do all the talking, she asked him to go somewhere more private as the pub grew rowdy and she couldn't hear him well. And like the dog he is, he took the bone she threw at him.