•Paddies.

XVII. Paddies.

Two years passed and a lot of things had changed in Birmingham. Maude and Tommy had been publicly together for two years and their relationship grew stronger every day. Not only was she Tommy's most trusted employee but the only person in his family that he trusted with everything.

While his brothers were still stuck in the betting shop, Tommy moved Maude into his new Shelby Limited office building, where she had her own office. It wasn't as big as Tommy's but it was still spacious, enough to fit in a desk, bookshelf, couched with a fireplace and a liquor cabinet.

Not only did Tommy move Maude into an office of her own, but also a house that the two of them shared. They still lived on Watery Lane, only three houses from her old house, which her brothers once again shared alone.

Although Henry mostly lived alone now, as Daniel was often times at his new girlfriend's apartment. Anna had come into their lives a little over a year ago. She had been hired to take over Maude's position in the betting shop, keeping the books straight along with John's wife, Esme.

The young brunette girl was sweet and she stole Daniel's heart rather quickly. Henry and Maude liked teasing their younger brother that he'd probably marry before either of them because already he was head over heels for Anna.

Another change to their family was Ada and Freddie moving to London soon after the business with Billy Kimber was finished. That was two years ago, and now the family was holding a funeral for Freddie Thorn in the Birmingham cemetery. He had gotten extremely ill and not soon after did he pass.

Everyone was gathered around his grave, overlooking his coffin as the priest spoke, giving a prayer to Freddie's soul. Maude stood with Tommy, holding onto his arm and silently assuring him she was there with him. Despite the bad blood the two had, Maude could tell the death of his childhood friend had hit him hard.

"And give him peace. Amen." The priest finished as he closed his bible, glancing at Tommy and giving him a nod of his head, as Tommy had requested to say a few words before they would lower Freddie Thorn into the earth.

Tommy cleared his throat as he stepped forward and Maude let go of his arm. "I promised my friend Freddie Thorn that I'd say a few words over his grave if he should pass before me," Tommy spoke up, clasping his hands together as he stared down at the coffin. "I made this promise before he became me brother-in-law. When we were in France, fighting for the King."

"Amen," Arthur spoke up.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie." Tommy continued on. "Pestilence took him." He spoke over the cries of John and Esme's baby. "But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation before he was cruelly taken." He said as he looked at Ada's son, the toddler unaware of his father's passing and his mother's grief.

When Tommy was done, he returned to Maude's side as she gave him a soft smile under her black veil, wrapping her arm around his as she leaned into his side. Together they watched as Freddie was lowered and the hole refilled with earth. A final goodbye was said to Freddie Thorn before everyone slowly began to part.

Maude stood with her brothers and Anna, watching as Tommy went to talk with his sister and explain how dangerous it was for her to be alone back in London with the baby since Tommy was planning to expand into the territory and most likely rile the gangs up there. Maude shoved her hands into her black coat pockets, eyebrows furrowing. "Do you think Ada will come back to Birmingham now?" She asked softly as she glanced between her brothers.

"No, she is stubborn that one." Henry insisted as he shook his head, pulling a cigarette and lighter from his pocket and lighting himself a smoke.

"I can't imagine having to raise a little one on your own," Anna said softly, wrapping her arms around herself as Daniel slung his arm around her shoulders, pulling her in close to his side.