•The Boogeyman.

X. The Boogeyman.

Wednesday morning the shop was sorted out and Tommy had managed to get most of the money back from the Lee family. A meeting was scheduled early With Billy Kimber and his accountant, and Maude was dreading meeting the man as she followed Tommy out of the shop and towards the car waiting out front.

Tommy knocked on the car window, catching the two men inside's attention. The door opened and the two men stepped out of the car, looking down the street in disgust. "Mr. Kimber, Mr. Roberts, come and have a look around." Tommy insisted as he made his way back towards the betting shop door, Maude following next to him as the two men followed after them. Tommy pushed open the door, letting Maude step inside before turning to Kimber and his accountant. "After you."

The two men stepped inside, looking around the busy shop. Kimber's eyes scanned over the room before turning towards Tommy and Maude, glancing between the. "Well, I thought the Lees turned you over?" He asked.

"You shouldn't listen to gossip, Mr. Kimber." Maude insisted as she shook her head, clasping her hands together in front of her as she flashed Kimber a sweet smile.

Tommy hummed in agreement as he nodded his head before walking off to his office. "This way." He insisted as Kimber and his accountant followed after Tommy with Maude right behind them.

"Business is good." The accountant, Mr. Roberts commented as he glanced back at the busy shop before stepping into Tommy's office. "Especially since now, you know which horse is going to win before you set the odds."

"Information is very much appreciated," Tommy replied with a nod of his head as he glanced between the two men.

"All right, well, where are they?" Kimber asked, a slight scowl on his face as he wanted to get business done and return back home, hating the filthy town of Birmingham and not wanting to spend a second longer than he has to.

Tommy cleared his throat, turning towards the shop on the other side of the office. "John, Lovelock, Daniel, Scudboat, in here." He called out and the four men came gathering in the office. "This is my team." He informed Kimber as he pointed at the group of men. "They will take up their pitch at your convenience, Mr. Kimber." He assured before pointing at his brother and the at Scudboat. "John is the book, Scudboat is the bag man, and of course, we bring our own protection." He said as he pointed his hand towards Lovelock and Daniel.

"And the lady?" Kimber asked as his gaze turned towards Maude, openly checking her out, eyes drifting over the curve of her breasts hidden behind the baby blue silk material of her dress, drifting down to the gentle curves of her hips.

Tommy's jaw clenched, wanting nothing more than to cut out Kimber's eyes with the razors sown into the peaked cap on top of his head. "She signs all documents as me witness and adviser," Tommy explained as he glanced over at Maude as Kimber's accountant handed her the papers of their agreement.

"Right," Kimber muttered, eyes intensely following Maude's body as she bent over Tommy's table to sign the documents. Tommy cleared his throat as he moved in front of Maude, shielding her from Kimber's view as he looked over her shoulder and observed the documents she signed, fists clenching by his side. Kimber's gaze turned back towards the rest of the men in the office. "Warwick, next Saturday, at least 50 yards from the beer tent." He instructed.

Once Maude handed back the signed paper back to the accountant, He pulled a paper from his file, handing Tommy his license before following Kimber out of the office. The group made their way out of the office, following after Tommy.

"Gentleman," Tommy called for his men's attention and Maude cleared her throat as she stood next to Polly, her arms crossed over her chest. " And ladies." He added as he pointed his hand towards the two before holding up the paper in his hand. "I have in my hand a legal betting license, issued by the Board of Control. The Shelby family has its first, legal racetrack pitch." He called out and the shop erupted into cheers as everyone laughed and clapped their hands.