•Quarter-Arab.

XXVI. Quarter-Arab.

Soon Maude found herself in Alfie Solomons's bakery once again. She, Tommy, Henry, and Alfie were standing in front of a whole group of men. All of them were recruited by Billy Kitchen and all of them were given the green light by Alfie to be inside the bakery.

Tommy paced in front of the men as he began speaking. "Alright, boys, you've now all been enrolled as bakers in the Aerated Bread Company of Camden Town," He called out, taking a drag of the cigarette between his fingers. "If anyone asks, that's what you do." He insisted. "You're bakers. The coppers in Camden Town are on our side, but north or south, you show them that piece of paper," He explained as he pointed at the paper they all had been given. "Tell them you've come down from north to find work, to break strikes. Tell them you're fascists, if you have to. We're finding lodgings for you, but for now, you'll sleep here in the bakery. But don't touch any of the bread, it'll most likely explode." He said as he came to a stop in front of them. "Any questions?" He asked and one of the men in the front held up his hand. "Yes?"

He looked around the bakery before a smile tugged at his lips. "I haven't even seen any bread." He commented and a few of the men had a chuckle.

Maude pursed her lips, inhaling sharply as her gaze shot towards Alfie. Tommy looked back at Alfie as well, clearing his throat before his gaze returned to the men. Everything was silent as Alfie slowly walked toward the group of men. He stopped in front of the jokester, staring at him for a long second before knocking out the man to his left. Henry quirked an eyebrow as he shared a look with his sister and she only shook her head in response.

"He'll wake up," Alfie assured the jokester before shrugging his shoulders. "Granted, he won't have any teeth left, but he will be a wiser man for it. And the last thing he will remember is your funny little joke. Won't he?" he asked as he stared at the man who quietly stared at him with wide eyes. "Right!" He screamed before stepping back from the man, and his attention fell over all of them. "There are fucking rules here. Yeah, there are fucking rules for a fucking reason." He began speaking as he walked around, eyeing the men. "Quite simply, they have to be obeyed. All right?" He insisted as he stopped in front of them.

"Rule number one. The distinction between bread and rum, yeah, is not discussed." Alfie demanded as his gaze settled on the jokester for a second before he looked at the rest again. "Rule number two. Anything, right, that your superior officer says to you or any of your other fucking superior officers say to you, yeah?" He spoke as he pointed towards everyone who stood on the other side of him" Not discussed!" He yelled before he pointed a finger at Maude. "And you even fucking listen to the lady, right?" He warned them and Maude quirked her eyebrows in response.

"Rule number three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, I don't care. For the rest of your fucking miserable measly lives, yeah?" Alfie continued. "Because I, like you, am also a complete fucking sodomite," He said, and again Maude quirked an eyebrow at him. "Jewish women. You do not go anywhere near them because Jewish women for you are off the fucking menu." He warned them before his gaze settled on Billy. "I think that's fair." He muttered and for a second the two had a stare off which Billy broke first, making Alfie hum. He turned towards the man on the floor, humming again before turning to Tommy. "All right, that's it, yeah. Forgive me, I interrupted you." He said before walking away.

Tommy stared at the men silently for a second before nodding to the man on the floor. " Pick him up," he demanded before walking up to Billy Kitchen, muttering something to him.

Henry leaned into his sister's side, eyebrows deeply furrowed. "What the fucking hell?" He muttered and Maude hummed in response as she nodded her head.