•Grand reopening.

XXIV. Grand reopening.

The day of the Garrison's grand reopening came and everyone was busy getting ready and preparing for the day. Maude had been ready for a while and was now waiting for Tommy to arrive home so that they could go together. Daniel was with her, coming to pick up a pair of cufflinks and staying for a glass of whisky.

"Do you know if Arthur is coming tonight?" Maude asked as she glanced at her brother, sipping on her whiskey as they sat in the living room of the small house.

"I'm not sure if he will," Daniel replied with a soft sigh and a shake of his head. "He's fucked up badly." He muttered as he pursed his lips, sharing a concerned look with his sister.

"Have you seen him?" She asked as she raised her eyebrows, crossing one leg over the other and resting her whiskey glass on her lap.

Daniel nodded his head as he took a few sips of his whiskey. "Went by this morning." He informed her as a low sigh slipped from his lips, and his gaze diverted down to the floor.

"How does he look?" Maude asked hesitantly as she stared at Daniel. She hadn't seen Arthur since the incident, but she knew he was in a bad way. She was worried for him, but she had little to no idea how she could possibly be of any help to Arthur. She wasn't sure anyone could help him now.

"Bad." He muttered as he looked back up at his sister, pursing his lips as he slowly shook his head. "He just cried." He said softly as his gaze diverted down to the floor again.

Maude sighed as well, eyebrows furrowing deeply as she firmly shook her head in frustration. "He should have kept the medicine." She insisted as she quickly finished her whiskey, slamming the empty glass down on the coffee table.

"The medicine didn't help him either," Daniel argued with her as he shook his head, his eyes finding hers once again. "He was just as fucked in the head with it as he is without it." He insisted as he finished his whiskey as well before checking his pocket watch. "The party will start soon, I have to go pick up Anna." He said as he got up to his feet, patting Maude's shoulder when he passed by her.

"I'll see you there." She said as she reached up at patted his hand, giving him a tight-lipped smile as he left the house.

Ten minutes later Tommy arrived, quickly getting ready before they left for the Garrison. Tommy complimented Maude a few times, always adoring when she wore red. She had a long-sleeved silky dress on, with her hair curled and ruby red pins keeping them out of her face. She also wore red heels from Paris that Tommy had gifted her with for her birthday.

When they stepped into the Garrison, Maude gasped softly. "Oh, my God." She whispered as her eyes drifted over the red and gold, shiny new pub. "Look at this place." She said as her lips parted.

"You like it?" Tommy asked as he turned towards her, watching with a smile as she reached out to run her hand over the smooth surface of the gold-plated bar top.

"It looks amazing, Tommy." She insisted with a nod of her head as she turned to look back at him with a smile. "No wonder you paid the decorators so much money." She teased before her gaze turned towards the few people who had already arrived for the party.

"World run on money, sweetheart." Tommy insisted as he wrapped one arm around her waist, pulling her in close to his side. "Got to pay for quality." He added and Maude hummed in agreement.

"Grand reopening, ey."She said as her eyes ran over the pub and all the people inside, a smile on her face.

Maude was sitting at the bar, enjoying herself a pint of beer, when the doors to the Garrison slammed open and Arthur Shelby stepped inside. He looked around with amazed eyes. "My fucking Garrison!" He called out as he spread his arms out before turning to Finn who stood beside him. He muttered something, patting Finn on the back before approaching the bar, eyes landing on Maude who pulled out a cigarette. "'Ere you are, Maude. Let me get you a light." He insisted, pulling a lighter from his pocket and lighting her cigarette. "There you go, my darling."