25- Being a Brookie ◇

Over the past 2 or three days, I learned that being a brookie wasn't so bad

There were people, like Alex, who I liked to hang out with.

And people like Kia and Josh who I'd learned to tolerate.

Kia could get on my nerves with the overly aggressive flirting, but I could ignore it.

Josh, while aggressive didn't seem that bad.

Apparently when he walked Nora home a couple days ago he helped her after she tripped and almost hurt her already cut hand. He said she was embarrassed by the whole situation.

I'd barely had time to ask Nora about it, so I had to assume it was true.

Nora was barely home anymore she was training or working on the docks all the time, and I was busy with the brookies.

"Morning." Alex said as I walked towards him in the beach

"Morning" I replied setting down my work out gear ready for a long exhausting practice.

"Alright! Surfers listen up! The annual Ocean Bay surf competition is in 2 weeks, so those of you who I have competing we need to kick it into gear!" Brooker shouted

Maria, a lower level surfer raised her hand. She seemed nervous and hesitant but Mr. Brooker looked at her, waiting for her to speak.

"Who's surfing in the comp this year?" She asked

Immediately Kia scuffed

"Definitely not you." She stated

Brooker didn't tell Kia to be quite instead he pulled out a different sheet of paper.

"For the 17 and 18 year old division for the girls I have Kia, Becky, and May competing."

"Told you." Kia said with smirk on her face, Maria just stepped further back into the group away from Kia

"For the boys I have Josh, Finn and Alex competing." He announced

Josh looked unphased, but Alex looked beyond excited.

"For those names I just called you have a two mile jog up the beach, Go!"

Instantly I began running along with everyone else, jogging with bare feet down the shore line.

Kia began running next to me and Josh, as she did she began to pull a piece of paper from her bikini top.

"Alright folks, here's our competition, straight from the top of Brookers office desk." She stated, Josh Instantly grabbed the paper out of Kias hands "God calm your tits Josh, you could have given me a paper cut."

"Be quite you whore." Josh snapped back so quickly it surprised me.

I tried to laugh it off, assuming that was just their humor with each other.