36- Comp Day pt. 1

~Song: Queen of the Waves

I stood on the sand, my nerves high.

Jumping up and down I tried to remain calm.

Like Josh, who seemed completely unphased.

He made no attempt to warm up, he sat on the sand eating a cliff bar watching the water.

"The more you jump around, the more you'll lose energy." Josh stated, not taking his eyes off of the water.

I looked down at him and stopped jumping.

Josh had his hood pulled up over his hair, so it was hard to see his face but I could just feel the death glare.

He patted the sand next to him.

"Sit and watch the 17-18s the first heat is about to start."

I sat down next to him watching as everyone was moving about.

The beach was hectic to say the least.

Lifeguard ready to put jet skis in the water, spectators all crowded around the announcers table, which was raised up, had crowds of people under it.

Food trucks were packed making the beach smell like grease.

This event was big, one could tell just by looking around, the cameras, the people.

Yet all of the older, better surfers, seemed unphased.

Like Josh or Kia who was just staring at the water. She seemed almost bored.

Luke and Ryan in the masters tent alittle ways away were playing a game on their phones while the girls were getting ready to surf.

Nora sat alone, outside of the tent. She probably wasn't aloud around the masters or brookies during a comp.

So she sat alone.

Her long hair was down and she was wearing a black and pastel pink wetsuit that matched her board.

She sat there listening to music, though I'll never know which song, and stared out at the water.

Brady stood next to her but made no attempts to talk with her.

A second guy stood next to Brady, also not speaking to Nora but looking at other surfers out of the waves.

The back of his shirt read O'Neal and I quickly put the pieces together. 

Though I knew each heat was 30 minutes, two heats seemed to go by faster than expected.

"And that wraps it up for heat 2 of the girls 17-18 division!" The announcer called out over the mega phone, "scores will be posted up here or online soon. On to heat 3! From the Masters we have..." the announcer continued on.

"Hey, what heat is Kia in?" I asked, figuring it was better not not mention Nora's name.

"4" was all Josh replied.