As the Journey Begins

I knew nothing about natural hair until 2014. I did not know that African Americans had naturally curly,thick, textured hair. The only person in my family who was currently natural was my sister,and since she was in college, I never witnessed what her hair looked like. She had just recently transitioned to natural. So basically, I learned about natural hair accidentally.
Close to the middle of April 2014, I searched YouTube for styles that I could achieve on my currently relaxed hair. I was tired of being nagged constantly by my mother about how I always wore my hair the same way. And I also knew it was time for a change.
I stumbled across MoKnowsHair on YouTube. She was installing curls using a flat iron, and this style was very pretty to me. Mind you, Mo has very thick natural hair that has waves and curls. However I did not realize that because her hair was stretched before she started the tutorial. So I hurriedly ran to my bathroom to power up my Conair flat iron to achieve this look.
At this time my hair had medium thickness and would not grow past collarbone length. I thought that I could do the style on my hair, but it was a complete fail. I re watched the video to see what I was doing wrong and tried again, but to no avail. I could not figure out what was wrong.
So I went through her other videos and discovered that her hair, and various other people whose hair she styled, was natural. I did not know what that word meant completely, but I quickly did my research.
I did not know African Americans had this hair at all. It was stunning and very surprising. After showing my mom the videos and watching several more for hours on end, I was fascinated. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the different textures of curls,kinks,and coils. So I decided to make probably the biggest decision of my life yet. I wanted to go natural. I wanted to see the hair that God gave me. And no one was going to stand in my way.