Some Days Are Harder

Your mom sees you passing by the living room, "Peanut, you look beautiful!" She gets up and walks to you taking your hands in hers, "My, I sure do make pretty babies."

 You laugh, "I think Appa had a part in that too." Suddenly you mom's face looks very sad.

"Oh Eomma, I'm so sorry." She pats your hand and lets go and walks into the kitchen with you. She is facing away from you as she gets the bread out and you see her raise her hand to wipe a tear and you feel so bad.

"I didn't mean to make you remember sadly."  

Your dad and two brothers died in an accident at the new luxury high rise they designed together. One of the construction companies decided to use cheap materials to make more profit for themselves resulting in the accident that killed your brothers and father. Investigators into the accident confirmed that the company used faulty materials.

Through your job she got to met the group you work with. Once she got to know them she held them all close to heart as if they were her own sons. They helped to fill a large hole in her heart. You feel that she also filled a small gap in their hearts missing their own moms.

You put your arms around your mom in a back hug. She pats your hands still holding her around the waist, "It's ok little one. Some days are just harder than others."

You let go and she starts to make a sandwich.  She cuts it in half and gives you half. 

"You better eat a little something." 

She knew your tummy always hurt before going out on a date due to anxiety so she always made sure you ate a little bit before going.

She hands you a glass of juice and a napkin as you sit at the counter to eat. You smile as she places a hotteok beside your glass. 

"You're the best mom ever!" You go to eat it and she stops you. 

"Eat your sandwich first." 

You playfully roll your eyes, "Yes Mother Dear." She swats your shoulder laughing as she goes to sit and eat hers too.

Your mom says, "You know it took two weeks to get a reservation at the restaurant he's taking you to tonight." 

You look up mouth full of sandwich and mumble, "What?" 

"He tried several times to make reservations but kept being put on hold, so after a couple of days he asked me if I could call them for him." 

She leans a little over the counter as if to tell you a secret, "I heard some people were placed on hold for over 45 minutes when trying to make a reservation there! It took me a whole week to finally get one made." 

She sits back as your eyes widen in surprise, "Really!?  Wait, Mom, you mean a couple of weeks ago he was making plans to ask me out to dinner?"

Smiling she nods, "Yes." 

You look confused, "But he is mad at me now after what happened. I would have thought he'd back out of dinner tonight." 

She asks, "Would you after all it took to get reservations?" 

You say, "Well, he could have cancelled or taken someone else."

 Your mom pats your hand, "Oh but my little one he wanted to take you."

 You sigh and pull your  hand away, "Yeah but that was before he got mad at me."