Where Did Things Go Wrong

Later that night, Yoongi went to the company to change and then to his studio. He sat down and struggled with his feelings for you. He thought to himself, 'Where did things go so wrong?' 

 He suddenly sits up, eyes wide, and fiercely says, "JIMIN!" 

He rushes out, heading for the dance studio.

The Uber driver reaches your house and drops you off. You walk in, close the door, and sigh. You put your things down on the living room table. You plop down on the couch and grab one of the pillows to hold in your arms. You can't believe how badly things have turned out.

You bury your face into the pillow and softly cry. You feel warm arms embrace you, and you lean into your mom. 

She pats your back gently, "Don't cry, Peanut. What's happened?" 

She hears you take a gasp of air, and then you look up at her, wiping your tears. "I don't know. I was mean. I said things. I love him, and he can never love me!" 

You start to sob as your mom pulls you close. She reaches into her pocket, pulls out a handkerchief, and hands it to you. You take it never looking up. 

"Mom, I love him, but he told me he'd rather be a rock."  

You start sobbing again, and your mother lets go of you and gets up. She lovingly looks down at you, her heart cracking just a little at seeing you so sad.

She pulls you up, "Come on." 

You reluctantly follow her to the kitchen. You sit at the counter, and she gets out two hotteoks and warms them up, then places them on two plates.  She slides one over to you.

 "I take it you didn't stay long enough to eat dinner?" You shake your head as you eat your hotteok, and she hands you a glass of milk.

You both eat silently and then your mom says, "Do you know why Yoongi was angry with you?" 

You swallow the last bite and take a drink of milk. Blushing, you say, "He saw Jimin and me on the floor tangled up in arms and legs. But Mom, we weren't doing anything. It may have looked like we were."

She says, "He thought you two were romantically involved." She pauses, looking for the right word: "Um, busy."  

Your mom looks at you over her glass as she is about to swallow, watching for your reaction. "It upset him. Rocks don't get upset."

You blush over Yoongi, thinking you and Jimin would be intimate like that, that you missed the part where she said rocks, don't get upset.

 "Mom, I would never! Anyone could have walked in! I mean, I wouldn't do something like that in a room where just anyone could walk in." 

Your mom says, "It's good to know that." She smiles at you, "Never get lost in romantic feelings that you forget where you are."

You and your mom clean up the couple of dishes and glasses then sit in the living room. You finally have to ask, "Eomma, has Yoongi been talking to you?"

"You know they all talk to me." She brushes an invisible crumb from her lap.

 You tilt your head and whine, "Mommm, have you been talking to Yoongi about me?" 

She seems to have found another crumb. "They all talk to me about you in some capacity."

 You huff a breath of aggravation, "Mother, have you been talking to Yoongi about me concerning personal things?"

She blankly looks at you, "I would never discuss your cycles with any of them." 

You stand up frustrated now, "Mom! You know that's not what I meant. Have you been telling him how I feel about him?"

She looked everywhere but at you, trying to avoid you until she could think of something to say. You knew it; she did! You didn't know that he talked to her about his feelings for you first, and only then did she tell him. 

Frustrated, you stand there, your mind racing as you think to yourself, 'Yoongi wouldn't let me know how he felt. Yet my mom, MY mom, and Yoongi have been talking about me behind my back.'  You are so embarrassed. 'Just what exactly did she tell him?' 

Wanting this night to end, you decide, "I'm going to bed, Mom." You kiss her on the cheek, "Goodnight." 

She warmly says, "Goodnight, my little one."

Your mom watches you leave the living room. She understands how hard it was for Yoongi to express certain feelings. She thinks back to the first time he came to talk to her, and she hears your bedroom door close sharply. 

He wanted to find out if there was a chance that if he risked his heart, you would accept him. He felt it wouldn't sting as much to hear your mom tell him you weren't interested than to face you and listen to you say it to his face after he told you his feelings.

 Being close to your mom, he felt safe talking about things with her, things he had a hard time talking to others about.