Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings

Soap POV

I walk into a office sitting down, between the divorce, changing cities, and being a single father. I'd say I have my hands pretty full, but I also have a list, just to make sure that nothing goes wrong. I reach in my pocket, pulling out an old napkin, a list written on it; Make more friends, try to go out more, forget about the divorce, and be the greatest dad to my daughter. 

The door swings open, I quickly put the napkin back into my pocket. A man walks in holding a clipboard, he's a tall muscular figure, he's wearing dark grey combat pants, with a black shirt and boots, and a black baklava with a skull on it. A sleeve of tattoos cover his left arm, his hand wearing fingerless gloves. I've never seen someone wear this type of attire to a interview, strange to say the least.

I stand when the man walks over, I offer out my hand, "Morning sir!" I say happily. He looks up from his clipboard, looking me up and down, his eyes stagnant. He walks behind the desk sitting down, he looks through the paper on the clipboard, Some interviewer. He takes off his mask putting it off to the side, "Name?" The man asks. 

"John Mactavish, I also go by Johnny and Soap.. Sir" I say confidently, the man looks up, raising an eyebrow. "Repeat that?" The man asks, I feel slightly embarrassed after telling him my nickname. "Soap?" I say, the man lets out a sign, leaning back into his chair. "Ok then, I see that you were in the 212, now you're wanting to be an active duty member after being in Intelligence Analyst for-?" The man asks.

"3 years sir" I say confidently, proud of my dedication. The man flips the page, "Reason that you applied?" He asks, I tense up slightly, taking a small breath. "I.. want to be closer to my family" I say nervously, the man leans in, examining my demeter. "What family?" He asks, "My daughter" I say.

He leans back in his chair, "Mhm" the man says. I get an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, "Not to be rude sir, but I'd like to avoid the topic of my family, this is a professional setting, after all" I say. Is that a rude thing to say? I regret my choice of words, the man writes something on his clipboard.

I watch the man as he write on the paper, I examine his character, his hair a golden brown color. Around his eyes, he has some type of black substance, I look to his eyes. The dark color is almost distracting, the way they grase across the paper. He looks past his clipboard up to me, I jolt, looking down embarrassed. 

My phone starts to ring, "Sorry" I apologize. I take out my phone, my alarm is ringing, I stand up. "Sorry sir, it's time for me to pick up my daughter, hopefully we can continue this interview another time" I say. I start to walk to the door, There is no way I got this job, Please GOD let me leave, please let me leave, please let me leave.

I grab the doorknob, "MacTavish" The man says, I stop, Shit, fuck, ass. I turn towards the man, trying to not show my embarrassment, "Yes sir?" I respond confidently. Please tell me to leave, god please tell me to leave, "You said you had to pick up your daughter?" He asks. I tense up, "Yes sir" I respond, he furrows his brow, looking me up and down. 

The man stands up, walking from behind the desk over to me, Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. He instantly towers over me, "Is she at the bases daycare facility?" he asks, "Yes sir" I respond. He reaches into his pocket, putting the mask on over his head, only showing his eyes. He reaches past me and opens the door  for me, "I'll come with you". FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK, "Of course!" I say, I walk out the door, the man follows. 

We walk side by side, walking down the hall I notice that each person that passes us, quickly turn their looks away. I show a confused face, I look up to ghost, his look serious, seeing just his eyes makes him look much more intimidating than he did without his mask. Why is he coming along with me? Does he not believe that I'm going to pick up my kid?

I run a lot of possibilities through my head, none of them makes a lot of sense, I'm probably thinking too hard about this. We walk to the bases daycare center, stopping by the the front desk. 

Ghost POV

"I'm here to pick up my daughter, Maddison MacTavish" MacTavish says, I watch him slide over his ID on the counter. The receptionist looks up, and notices me next to John, she tenses up. Giving me a respectful nod, going back to her work, I turn, leaning back on the counter crossing my arms. 

Now that I think about it, I've never been to this part of the building before, I start to look around. This place isn't like the rest of the base, makes sense since I guess it's for children. I feel a nudge on my arm, Annoying, I turn my head, John is looking at me. "What?" I ask, "Not to interrupt your dark brooding, but you're scaring the public" John says, I ignore his comment, looking back to to the building.

A door opens, I look over, a woman is with a younger girl, holding her hand. John sits up from the counter, "Maddie!" John says, I furrow my brow. Change of diliec, The little girl runs over to him, he reaches down and picks her up. "Hi daddy!" The little girl says, she clings onto John, I watch as he takes her backpack off, putting it on his shoulder. 

"How was your day baby?" John asks, "I got to color a doggy and Ms.Traves read us the the.. the.." She struggles on a word. The woman who walked her out chimes in, "The berenstain bears and the jealousy monsters", John show a shocked face. "Ooo! Did you like it?" John asks, she quickly nods. 

"Well before you go, I want to say today we-" The woman talks to John about what they did in daycare. It's crazy to think we all needed to learn everything from scratch, John's daughter hugs John, resting her head on his shoulder. I look over to her, Small, She opens her eyes and looks at me. I watch her as she looks me all over, her eyes examine my demnor. I tense up, I guess she noticed me.

She looks back up to me, keeping her head laid on Johns shoulder, she reaches her hand towards me, waving, I jolt my head back. I look around to see if she's waving at anyone else, no one's there. I look back to her, O..k then, I lift my arm from it being crossed and I wave back. Behind me I hear people giggling, I turn my head, a group of soldiers are laughing. 

I put my hand back to its crossed position, looking to the floor, God damnit.

Soap POV

"Yeah, I know she can be a handful, thanks again!" I say gleefully, I rub Maddie on the back. She seems tired, I turn and notice the man leaning back on counter still. Is he still thinking about what I said? He actually looks pretty calm like this. I look past him and notice a group of soldiers joking around with each other, I need friends to hang out with like that. I walk over to the man, touching his arm, he slightly turns his head to me. I watch him as his eyes turn to my daughter, I look down at her, "My daughter Maddison" I say proudly.

He stands from his leaning position, he faces me keeping his eyes trained on Maddison. "How old is she?" He asks, "Four" I say. He looks up from Maddison and looks to my eyes, I feel myself getting nervous. I mean, at least he knows that I didn't willingly ditch the interview, "She's... Small" He says.

I furrow my brow, Maddison adjusts herself in my arms, I look down at her, rubbing her head as she softly naps. "Again, she's... Four" I say in the same manner as him, he looks at me for a moment. Soon after he turns his head and lets out a scoff, What a jackass, He turns back to me. A few seconds of silence go by, I clear my throat, "Ok, well I have to go drop off my daughter at her mother's house soo.. I'll be seeing you" I say, walking past him.

There is so way in hell that I got this job, that's fine, I didn't think I would get this job anyway. "Are you doing anything later... MacTavish?" The man asks, I stop, I turn to him raising an eyebrow. "Later?" I ask, AHHHHHH I WAS ALMOST OUT THE THE FUCKING DOOR, PLEASE GOD LET ME LEAVE. "5, we can continue your interview" He says, I keep my demeter cool. 

"Sure, where?" I ask, SOAP WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?! ABORT ABORT. "There's a coffee shop around the corner" he says, "Coffee shop around the corner at 5, got it" I say calmly. SOAP, JOHNNY, JOHN, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING MAN, The man walks off. I watch him leave, "Oh Johnny, what have you gotten yourself into" I whisper to myself.

{First chapter done, I have to be some type of crazy to finish a fanfic and immediately start a new one. This is probably gonna update every.. Sunday? Maybe Saturday, it might be saturday so that can be known as Update day for me. If I start multiple series at once I'll consider different days but I'm liking the Update day idea. Too much ranting, hope you enjoyed!}