Chapter 21: Overcast With A Chance Of Heavy Showers

Soap POV

Maddison is having an allergic reaction, stay calm, and lets handle this. "Come here Maddie, sit down" I bring Maddison into my lap, I take the bag off my shoulder, opening it. "Maddie we're gonna play a game, but you have to close your eyes ok? Close em" She closes her eyes, the tears seeping through them. I take out the EpiPen "Hold my hand, and take a deep breath, deep deep" I say.

I put the pen on her thigh, injecting it, she lets out a small yelp. One.. Two.. Three.. Her breaths become heavier, I take the epipen out. She starts crying loudly "Good job Maddie, but we have to go, come on baby, SIMON, call 911, we're gonna run ok, hold on tight" I say. I stand up with Maddison crying in my arms, I quickly speed back to the parking lot.

"D-d-d..." Maddison starts crying, "It's ok baby, daddy's here" I say. I look back to Simon, he's talking into his phone, following closely behind me. "West eclipse boulevard, the third parking lot in" Simon says into the phone. I look back to Maddison, her eyes are flickering, "Maddie stay awake" I kiss her forehead, lightly tapping her face.

You're gonna be fine, daddy's gonna be right here till you feel better. I feel my own eyes water, This isn't the time for that, stay focused. In the distance I start to hear an ambulance, I scan the area, "HEY! OVER HERE!" I yell out. The ambulance stops in the grass near us and the paramedics hop out, "What's going on here?" The paramedic asks. "She's having an allergic reaction, I already applied an EpiPen, about two or three minutes ago" I say.

The other paramedic opens the back of the ambulance, "That's good, lets get her on the stretcher and make our way to the hospital" the paramedic says. I hand her to the paramedic and he puts her on the stretcher, putting a bag valve mask on her face. "You riding with us?" The paramedic asks, "Yeah" I hop in, sitting next to the stretcher.

"What I need you to do, is hold this, this is gonna pump air into her lungs to keep her breathing if she's struggling, keep it steady. And while you do that, I'm gonna start an IV in her arm" He slowly inserts the needle in her arm. Hitting the side of the ambulance, The ambulance doors close, I feel a trembling feeling in my chest. I keep my hands steady, For her sake, I need to stay calm.

Ghost POV

I stand silently, watching John enter the ambulance, I watch him as he quickly wipes his tears away, looking over his daughter. In my hand, I hold the stuffed bunny Maddison had, she dropped it when John picked her up. I walk closer, the second paramedic stops me "Are you family? There isn't much space in there" They say. I look up to soap, the panicked state he's in saddens me.

"No.. I'm not" I say, I take a step back, the paramedic closes the back doors of the ambulance. I watch as the ambulance pulls off, leaving me by myself, along with other onlookers at the park. They're curious to what's happened, and all they have left, is me to look at. I hate their looks, there is nothing to look at.

I didn't mean for this to happen, but now because of me, this happened to you. I walk to my car getting in, I look at the stuffed animal in my hands. The fur isn't the softest, but I know that it's hers, and she's probably missing it. I take a deep breath, putting the key into the ignition.

Ringgg - Ringg

Click, "Hello?" I say into my phone. "Ghost, Price here, your favorite superior, we're starting the briefing on our deployment. When you came to my office the other day, I told you that you can't miss another meeting. As I've told you, if one person is unprepared, we're all unprepared". Shit, I had forgotten that the meeting was mandatory "I'm sorry captain, but-" Price cuts me off.

"What comes out of your mouth better be either 'Yes captain I'm on the way' or 'Sorry, this job isn't working out for me'" Price says. "I was about to head to the hospital" I say, "You sick?" Price asks. "No, but.. John's daughter-" Price lets out a loud whistle, "You, go get me my cigar, listen, Ghost, I'm not sure what responsibility you think you've picked up knowing this cadet, but to put things in perspective. You are nothing to him, and I understand that seeing an actual family has brought up memories that we both know you'd much rather keep locked in the back of your mind" Price shuffles for a moment.