Chapter 5: Found you

Soap POV

I stand in the kitchen of my apartment, I'm mixing a pot on the stove, wafting the scent towards me. Smells good, below me, Maddison is clinging onto my legs. She using them like stilts, as she hums a song she learned from daycare. I set a top the pot, stepping back from the stove, leaning on the counter behind me. I lean my head back, closing my eyes, taking a breath. Please be good, please be good, please don't be gross. 

I feel Maddisons grip tighten on my pants, I look down and notice she's looking up at me. I smile at her, "What are you doing down there?" I ask. She giggles happily, showing me a very toothy smile, I reach down grabbing her. Pulling her up into my arms, she immediately starts to feel around my face. Her small hands glide through my stubble, "Prickly" She says, I laugh lightly. 

I start to feel my chin, "You think daddy should shave?" I ask, she grabs my hand feeling my fingers. "If I do, you won't be able to get my prickly kisses that you love so much", I say. I start to kiss Maddison's cheeks, she giggles in my arms. A man must shave, to spare his daughter's cheeks. I put her back onto the floor, she quickly regains her position between my legs, holding tightly to my pants.

She starts back up her tune, adding her own what I assume lyrics out of the babbling she's doing. I waddle back over to the stove, starting to mix the food I've made, I hum along with her.

Ghost POV

Knock on the door, there's no harm in knocking but if he had a doorbell it would be better maybe... Are doorbells annoying to hear as a neighbor? I analyze the door, No doorbell, I take a sigh of relief. I... Still have to knock, I look down to my clothes, jeans, t-shirt. I look around the hallway for a moment, the apartment building he lives in is pretty lively. Not too loud, not too quiet.

I keep my focus on the door,  I wish I would have worn my mask. I have it with me, but would it be appropriate? I shake my head, Doesn't matter. I knock on the door, I step back a bit, leaving my hands at my sides. I again feel the shaky feeling in my chest, Am I nervous? I scoff lightly, Generous thoughts. The door opens, John looks me up and down, "Glad you were able find me" He says.

He examines my face, I tilt my head, "Something on my face, MacTavish?" I ask. He crosses his arms, giving me a smirk, "I've noticed something" He says. "What?" I ask, he steps closer to me, looking at my face. "The only time I see you without your mask, is when it's just us" He says slightly whispering, "Which isn't often". 

I think for a moment, "I guess you could say, I trust you with knowing my identity" I say. I hear a child singing from inside of his apartment, I look in, not seeing anything. I look back down to John, "How good are 4 year olds at keeping secrets?" I ask. "Not well" He says, No harm from the words of a little girl. John moves aside for me to walk in, I take a step, Johns arm quickly shoots out, blocking me. 

I look at him, he leans towards my ear, his voice dark. "You've been around my daughter twice, both times have been fine, but this time.." John whispers to me. "This is my home, my daughter is here, if you do anything that I do not want my daughter to see, I will ask you to leave, and you will do so" John says. His words commanding, but his tone is understandable.

"Understood?" He asks, I give him a silent nod, I haven't been around children that much, but this could be a learning experience for me. John lowers his arm and steps aside, I look in, a casual apartment. Immediately stepping in is the living room, a medium sized couch sits in front of TV. To the right is a half wall that looks into the kitchen, a pot is sitting on the stove.

The fridge is littered with drawings, Maddie. I look back to the room, I hear small palps on the floor, Johns daughter is running towards us. She stops and looks up at us, I pause, What do I say?  "Maddie, this is daddy's friend that you met" John says. His expression has changed from the dark tone he had, "With the mask you liked?" John says.