Chapter 18: New Voice Message

Soap POV

I sit on the chair, Simon's house isn't what you'd think of a Lieutenant, or maybe it is. I look around, Random files, always working, liquor. I rub my chin, Seasoned military for sure, Simon comes back into the room. He searches the closet, I watch him from across the room, staying quiet. He turns to the bed, grabbing the jacket he lent me last night, putting it on.

"Going somewhere?" I ask, he walks over to me, resting his hands on the arms of the chair. I look up to him confused "Going to get lunch" Simon says. He turns the chair, facing it back to the window. He looks down at me "You can come if you want, unless... You want to stay" Simon says.

His dark eyes meet mine, "Can I drive your truck?" Simon heartily laughs at my question. He stands "If you're able to kill me, I'll consider it" Simon says. I stand from the chair, following him out. We walk over to his car, getting in "I'm gonna make a call, give me a minute" Simon says. He puts the keys in, starting the car "If you drive off, I'll shoot you" he says, closing the door.

"Wouldn't think of it" I say, watching him make his call. I look around the car, I notice on the floor, my phone. Forgot about you, I pick it up "Dead", I look around for a charger. I pull on the glovebox, finding it locked, I look out to Simon, he's still on the phone. I roll down the window, "SIMON" I yell out, he turns confused.

"You have a charger? My phone's dead" I say out to him, "Glove box" He says, turning back to his call. I look to the key, Well he clearly wants me to take the key out to get into the glovebox. I take the key out, turning the car off, I look to him, Still on the phone. I unlock the glove box, falls out a Pistol, magazine, along with one of his mask. I look down at the gun, feeling nervous for a moment, I look back into the glovebox, I dig around.

Taking out the charger, carefully putting the gun and magazine back. I plug it in, it quickly starts to turn back on. Simon gets back into the car "Work?" I ask, he take the keys from me, putting back into the ignition. "Just Price reminding me that I have a job, and to submit the papers I was working on" He explains.

"That gonna take long?" I ask, Simon starts to drive "More of me giving papers to someone, and they submit it, no more than five minutes" Simon says. He shakes his a bit, blinking "And I'm not sure why I told you that" He says confused. He furrows his brow, thinking for a moment, it was clear that he was getting comfortable around me.

Telling me things, not wearing his mask, being able to look me in the eyes. I look over at him, his eyes focused on the road. I look to my lap smiling, It's comforting to know that he's this comfortable around me. I look at my phone, 9%, I look at my notifications.

9 missed calls, 4 voice messages, 23 text. What the hell.

Ghost

I just told him, no thinking, just said it. It's not like the call was something serious, it's unlike me, control yourself Simon. I shake my head again, Ghost, not Simon. I breath out in disappointment that I've allowed myself back into that comfort I lost years ago, Stay alert, but never calm. "Shit" John says, "What?" I ask, glancing over to him, keeping focus on the road.

"9 missed calls, 4 voice messages, and 23 text" John says. My eyes widen in shock, "Damn, collections?" I ask. "No it's-" John stops himself, turning his body to look at me with a disappointed look "Shut the hell up" John says. I chuckle, "They're all from Lydia" John says, suddenly the air feels serious. He holds his phone to his ear, I listen in, struggling to hear the low volume.

"You have, 4, new voice messages, New voice message, 8:42pm"

"Johnny take your time, I know that today was hard, but I was wondering if you were going to call for Maddison, let me know."  Click.